Author Topic: Carrot cake  (Read 3246 times)

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
Carrot cake
« on: January 19, 2007, 13:35:29 »
Does anyone have a nice, (easy ;)) recipe for carrot cake, please?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Carrot cake
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 13:38:49 »
yes, please, me too   ;D

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
  • "A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality
    • Got a new website - still not finished!!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 13:40:29 »
The BBC food website has quite a few to try, but I like these - a bit different because they are muffins rather than a cake.  A bit too easy to eat though...! ("it's only a little muffin, one more won't hurt!") ::) :P

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/carrotmuffins_72690.shtml

;D
Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 13:52:20 »
hi hope this is ok, click on image for bigger view,

windy
my allotment
heaven

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 14:17:29 »
OOOOH! YummEEEE! And not too complicated either!  ;D Thank you both very much. Love the thought of muffin-sized ones too - think I'll top them with a dollop of that scrummy orange butter icing. Can't wait!

trojanrabbit

• Half Acre
  • There are those who call me... Pete
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 12:45:03 »
Sorry, not been around for a bit. Top recipe from Delia - very easy indeed, although I use mascarpone instead of quark for the topping so not quite so low fat!  ;D

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/low-fat-moist-carrot-cake,1130,RC.html

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 13:10:09 »
I have two which can both be done in a food processor which makes life very easy.  One has bananas and the other chocolate.   The chocolate one is very good for disguising carrots from reluctant children and is my daughter's favourite cake of all time even now she knows I hide carrots in it.  I'll post them if you like.
Obxx - Vendée France

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 13:22:23 »
Yes please obbelix, the more the merrier!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 17:07:10 »
Here's one:-

CHOCOLATE CARROT CAKE

This can be done in a food processor as it is an all-in-one sort of cake.   It's quite a lot of mixture so if you have a small goblet, use half the quantities and a 7" square tin and cook for 35mins before testing.   It can also be cooked as small buns in which case each takes about 12 minutes to cook.   A full quan-tity makes about 32 buns which freeze very well and make a healthy snack for handing out each day for the morning break at school.   Do not ice them.   It could get very messy.

310g   grated carrot
150g   grated dark chocolate (50 to 70% cocoa solids)
250ml   grapeseed, safflower or sunflower oil
185g   soft brown raw cane sugar
3   large eggs
215g   self-raising flour, sifted
5ml (1tsp)   bicarbonate of soda
30ml (2tbs)   100% cocoa powder, sifted
110g   golden syrup

Topping

250g   Philadelphia Light or equivalent
40g   icing sugar
150g   white chocolate

Start by grating the carrots and chocolate and removing them to separate bowls to add at the end.
Once you have done the carrots and chocolate, whiz the oil, eggs and sugar together in the processor till well blended then add the flour, bicarb and cocoa.  Whiz lightly.   Then add the syrup and choco-late for a quick whiz and then the carrot.   If you over whiz the last, the cake becomes quite wet, takes longer to cook and may sink in the middle but you can camouflage that with the icing..

Pour the batter into a greased and lined 10" square cake tin and cook at 180C for 45 to 50 minutes, or until done.   

Allow to cool in the tin before transferring to a serving plate.

Melt the chocolate for the topping until soft enough to whip.  White chocolate burns easily so do it gently in a bowl over a pan of simmering water.   Beat in the icing sugar and cheese and spread over the top of the cake.   Use a spatula to pat it into little peaks.  It is not meant to be smooth.

Cut into small squares or fingers to serve.

Obxx - Vendée France

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 17:08:36 »
And here's the banana one:-

SPICY CARROT CAKE         

I do this as an all in one food processor cake but it's quite a large quantity so if you have no proces-sor, or only a small goblet, you can combine the ingredients conventionally using a whisk in a large bowl but should then add the grated carrots at the end with the chopped walnuts.   Either way, to keep it light, it is important to beat the eggs first in a separate bowl and to sift the flour to incorporate air.   You can also use half the quantities in a 7" square tin.

It is best made a day in advance to allow the flavours to develop.

175g / 6oz    carrots
2 to 3    medium bananas
150g / 5oz   soft brown sugar
3   eggs, beaten
275g / 10oz   plain wholemeal flour
1 tsp.   bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp.   salt
2 tsp.   baking powder
2 tsp.   ground mixed spice
175ml / 6 fl oz   sunflower or grapeseed oil
60g / 2oz   walnut pieces

Topping:

250g / 8oz   soft cheese - Philadelphia, Mascarpone etc (low fat if you're feeling virtuous)
50g / 2oz   soft light brown sugar
1 tsp.   grated lemon rind
2 tsp.    lemon juice

Grease and line a 25cm / 10" square cake tin.   Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4.

Grate the carrot in the processor.  Remove the disk and insert the chopping blade.  Process the car-rots, bananas and the sugar till well blended.  Keeping the motor running, gradually add the eggs, then the flour, soda, salt, baking powder and spice.  Pour in the oil and process till smooth.   Finally add the walnuts and process briefly to distribute them without disintegrating them.  Pour the mixture into the baking tin and level with a spatula.

Bake for about an hour.  The time will depend on the juiciness of the carrots and banana.  It is done when a clean skewer or sharp knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.  Leave the cake in the tin and place on a wire rack to cool.

Just before serving, remove the cake from the tin and peel off the paper.  Blend the topping ingredi-ents in a bowl and taste.   You may want to add extra lemon juice if you like it tangy.

Spread the mixture over the cake using a spatula or palette knife.   Pat the surface to make small peaks.   It is not meant to be a smooth icing.   If you wish, decorate with walnut halves or thin lemon slices.    

Obxx - Vendée France

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 17:11:02 »
Found another which I haven't tried yet but it looks good:-

CARROT & PECAN CAKE

Best made a day in advance to let the flavours develop.

180g   butter
180g   light muscovado sugar (soft brown)
1   orange, grated rind and juice
3   eggs, separated
120g   pecan nuts, chopped
270g   grated carrots
2 tsp   ground cinnamon
135g   self-raising flour
1 tsp   baking powder
60g   ground almonds

Topping:-
125g   Philadelphia cream cheese
½ tsp   ground cinnamon
1 tsp   runny honey

Heat oven to 180C.   Brease and line a 7"/18cm cake tin.

Cream the butter and sugar with the orange rind then beat in the egg yolks and 3tsp of the orange juice.  Stir in the pecans, carrots, cinnamon, flour, baking powder and ground almonds.

With a clean whisk, beat the egg whites till stiff then fold carefully into the cake mixture.   Turn into the prepared tin and hollow the centre a little. 

Bake for 1¼ hours, covering with foil after 45 minutes if the cake browns too fast.   Leave to cool in the tin a few minutes before turning out.

When completely cool, combine topping ingredients with two more teaspoons of the orange juice and spread over the top.  Decorate with a few whole pecans if desired.

Obxx - Vendée France

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 17:12:34 »
And finally this one which I saw her do on TV once.  It's very good.

INDIAN CARROT CAKE - Another gem from Madhur Jaffrey.

120g   self-raising flour
1 tsp   bicarbonate of soda
¼ tsp   salt
2   eggs, beaten
½ tsp   ground cardamom
240g   sugar
2fl oz   softened ghee or oil
12 fl oz   grated carrot
2 tbs   pistachios, chopped
2 tbs   almonds, chopped
2 tbs   light raisins or sultanas

To accompany:-
¼pt   double cream whipped with a tsp caster sugar & ¼ tsp ground cardamom

Heat oven to 180C.   Grease and line a 9" tin.

Combine everything from the flour to the oil in a food processor.   Turn into a large bowl and stir in the carrots, nuts and raisins.

Turn into the cake tin and bake 35 to 40 minutes till done.   Serve warm or cold with the cream and a sprinkling of pistachios.

Obxx - Vendée France

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 18:47:50 »
crikey thank you obbelix 8)
*sigh* I guess we'd better try all of these to find out which we like most ;)

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2007, 00:47:44 »
Thanks loads, Trojanrabbit and Obelix - they all sound scrumptious  :P Glad a diet wasn't one of my New Year's resolutions cos I'm going to be doing a SuperSprout ;D ;D

(Incidentally, SuperS - love your little cake-chomping gizmo! Where did you get it from?  :-*)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2007, 04:58:43 »
hi grandma, you can have your own .. ;D

right-mouse-click on the image
select 'Save As'
save the image to your disk!

To post to a forum:

upload the image into e.g. Photobucket
post as you would a photo!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2007, 07:53:43 »
Hi Spersprout and Grandma - I like the Indian one best but it's also the latest I've tried so is novel.    The chocolate one can be glazed with chocolate melted with a k-n-o-b of butter which cuts out some calories and makes it a bit more sophisticated.   I've tried both of these on Belgians and Brits and both are very popular.

The one with banans is also very good but liked by adults here rather than kids.  All are pretty healthy as cakes go.

Bon appetit
Obxx - Vendée France

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal