Author Topic: Soggy Leeks  (Read 1378 times)

Karen Atkinson

• Half Acre
Soggy Leeks
« on: December 15, 2010, 14:06:51 »
Here in the frozen NE of UK, we've had a fair amount of snow - which has eventually thawed - but there's more forecasted.
Went down to allotment today - alot of my leeks had bent over - presumably with weight of snow, and many were oooking limp and soggy.

Has anyone else suffered from this. Should I dig them all up and make huge quantities of soup?

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Soggy Leeks
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 14:24:44 »
Yes I have same problem..I grew 2 different varieties this year. Normally Musselburgh is hardy for me..but this year they did grow exeptionally large and now those are the limp ones..other ones are some trial variety from Tozer (no name just code number), they didn't grow large..more short and stubby but they have weathered really well...not bending over nor gone soft.
I'm planning to use my suffering ones first..ones that have gone soggy I'll just have to bin..I think they are written off as bad. :(..and I've got quite few of them ::)

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 00:48:29 »
To be honest I feel like giving up.

The local shops and markets sell veg so cheaply.

Why do I bother?

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 01:14:20 »
'Cos you know how it grew PH and it's good exercise and it tastes better and, and, and,.......  :)

Ninny

torquil

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 11:10:25 »
yes have had some taken others up yesterday always grow musselbro,have always good results.as ilook out the window seeit is snowing once again,as you say the frozen north east. :D :D :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal