Author Topic: Tear Stains  (Read 2050 times)

Sinbad7

• Hectare
Tear Stains
« on: December 12, 2010, 23:36:55 »
Does anyone know how to get rid of tear stains?

Never had a dog with them before but Alfie our puppy has them.  I bought stuff from the pet shop but that hasn't worked and also bathed them with warm water and that doesn't seem to work.

Have looked on-line but not sure if the suggestions are safe.

Sinbad

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Tear Stains
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 19:07:47 »
Our Brandy who has never had runny eyes before started had tear stains..she is coming on 14 so leaky problems are expected in her age ::)
I find that drop of something 'soapy' and warm water does it..normally I use little dog shampoo or even washing up liquid but you do have to clean the 'soapy' stuff off too ::) I've use baby wipes too ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 20:13:17 »
I think you'd need to check out some of the things that could be causing it. It could be an eye or ear infection or blocked tear ducts or even teething problems. If it's any of those it will stop once the cause has been treated.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 22:41:31 »
Will give that a go goodlife, thanks for that.

He does go back to see the vet on Wednesday so will ask then what they think the cause is.  As he came from the dog rescue centre I thought they would have said if there was anything else wrong with him.  The lady who looked after the puppies said it was his breed.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 22:56:33 »
Ah well in that case Goodlife's advice sounds good! I use wipes from the petshop for cleaning round my dog's eyes but her face is black so you don't really notice if there's a bit of staining.

Still always good to be sure there's nothing else causing it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal