Author Topic: Locked or not ?  (Read 10188 times)

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
Locked or not ?
« on: November 27, 2010, 23:20:58 »
At present our site closes the gate during the day and locks it overnight.
It used to be open all day long but thanks to my mate on the committee, she pursued the problem and encouraged us all to "shut the gate" :)
My question is ...is your site locked all the time /open all the time/locked overnight ? and do all your plot holders comply?
Personally I find it frustrating when people don't close/lock the gate it's like walking out and leaving your front door open  >:(
sanity is overated

brownowl23

• Acre
Re: Locked or not ?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 23:31:10 »
 we have to lock our gate at all times. But I went to the site on thursday and I am thinking there has been a problem with this as there are now emergency acess numbers up and one of our gates is cordoned off although locked and has a danger no acess sign.

Not sure if someone has had a problem on the site and emergency services have had acess difficulties.

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 23:36:36 »
Our gate are locked all the time, and everybody complies.

When I first got my plot, the gate was often left unlocked, and as a result was often left unlocked overnight, as the last person out did not know they were the last person out (it's quite a big site).
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 00:01:08 »
We had an open site with many problems until about a year ago, and now we have a fence and three locked gates, and although gates are left unlocked while people are on the site, the last one out always locks up, and I have never found the gates unlocked when I have arrived and no-one else is there. It works well so far.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 01:58:20 »
Both the sites I've been on have been locked... first one was always pretty good about  it tho0ugh the size meant you had to be... the curren tone is tiny by comparison and it's perfectly possible to see the whole thing from the gate, I have found that some folks leave it unlocked whilst they're on site... generalkly the ones from the gate end, I'm donw the bottom (a good 45 metres from the gate) and always lock it, but as I said it's less of a big deal if you don't here.....

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 05:12:06 »
Ours is kept locked, apart from on Sunday mornings so that people can visit. 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 07:42:58 »
Ours is locked on entry and exit though some people hate locking the gate.  Main offenders being pigeon plot holders.  Since the gate was fitted 8 months ago we have had no fly tipping of break-ins.  I am of the opinion  the gate should be closed on entry not necessarily locked.  If all plot holders lock it on exit as if they are the last out that would suffice.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 07:55:57 »
Our gate is left open while people are on site. Last out locks it. There was an incident this year of beans being stolen but our site has houses round it & it was one of them. They forgot one night & left the mat over the fence. Our daughters site is locked except when the lotty shop is open.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 08:10:51 »
On one of our sites the gatesshould be shut at all times but you always get one or two who think that it doesn't apply to them and these are the ones who have plots right up the other end of the site. Walsall rd are always closed except Sunday morning.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 08:31:46 »
Our site is locked at all times.  New gates, you have to lock the lock to get the key out.  The only problem we still have these days is from the houses round the site fly tipping over the fence.    Waiting for the council solicitor to prosicute one household for depositing dog phoo.  Lazy cow  >:( >:(

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 08:36:56 »
We have three gates that are always locked if there is no one on the site. But some plot holders have made there own access over the ditch and cut a hole through the fence/hedge.And then not bothered to put a gate in ???

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 08:41:29 »
We have a "gates shut at all times and last one out locks up" policy but it's not enforced.  The allotment WAGs haven't got keys so the gates need to be left unlocked for them  >:(.  And a few of the men are concerned they might have a heart attack on site and the ambulance won't be able to reach them.  So the gate is often unlocked and sometimes wide open (we have vehicle access which is well used).

I would like to see Gates Locked at All Times - we do get people wandering in and then leaving with a carrier bag of rasberries.  But it's not going to happen (see above).

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 08:52:27 »
Crikey, we've got a unofficial right of way though the alloments, no locks on the 3 gates at all, people just wander though on the way to the shops.....amazingly we don't get weekly theft/vandalism  :) although I wouldn't leave anything I didn't mind getting nicked down there.

At least 5 plotholders have unofficial gates from their gardens too, the only one the commitee are worried about is the one up the old railway embankment from the cycle path.
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 09:00:29 »
We lock ours coming and going although some people are somewhat lax at times.

One problem is the number of keys in circulation as the same one can be used at all the sites in the borough, and it's also known that people have spares cut for use by others!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 09:04:58 by Flighty »
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 09:35:03 »
On our site the gate must be locked at all times but there are a few who think sod it let the next to come in/out do it for me, we all so have a speed limit of 5 miles when driving round the site the same few drive round like it's Donington park,theres allway somebody to spoil it for others is there not. >:(

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 09:40:48 »
On our site the gate must be locked at all times but there are a few who think sod it let the next to come in/out do it for me, we all so have a speed limit of 5 miles when driving round the site the same few drive round like it's Donington park,theres allway somebody to spoil it for others is there not. >:(

oh to be able to get a car on to site.
we have barely enough space on the paths to drive a wheel barrow one wheeeled. We cant get a double buggy up the paths thats for sure.

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 10:28:23 »

On my alloment site its last one out locks the gate ,we have just had a very high metal fence put around the site, also a high strong gate. I do believe there have been some thefts off the plots.etc it only takes a minuit to lock the gate after you when you leave and. I think most people do lock up when they leave.
   June.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 12:22:48 »
One problem is the number of keys in circulation as the same one can be used at all the sites in the borough, and it's also known that people have spares cut for use by others!

our association has this problem, we are getting new locks and keys next yr to help alleviate this problem.
You couldn't make it up!

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 13:05:27 »
We have started to have this problem on our site this year because of the new lotty holders that have moved on, we have a sign on the gates which says 'Please close the gates on entry and leaving' but it  seems to be to much trouble, so I can't wait for the vandalism or thieving to start and let's see what the responce will be, :)

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 13:14:39 »
Thanks for all your contributions ,it's very interesting seeing how other sites do it
Re keys we used to charge £6 deposit but found for some that wasn't enough incentive to hand in their key if they left so sadly they've increased it to £25 .Watch this space  ;)
sanity is overated

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal