Author Topic: green chillis maybe Greek?  (Read 1144 times)

5rod

• Half Acre
green chillis maybe Greek?
« on: November 19, 2010, 15:06:16 »
Hi all,
does anyone know the variety of mild green chillis that you get with a dona kebab.
I think they may be greek but not sure?. Many thanks 5rod ::)

plot103

Re: green chillis maybe Greek?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 14:36:05 »
Jalapeno, I believe.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 15:00:57 »
Yes I think they are Jalapeno too..and they are stored in brine/vinegar...so not fresh.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 00:12:11 »
At all our local kebab houses (literally dozens to the square mile) they are smoothly tapering cones with at least a 6:1 ratio and tend to be quite uniform pale green.

They look exactly like Hungarian Hot Wax and have a similar heat too.

Nothing like any jalapeno I've ever seen - which are blunt ended shortish 4:1 and dark green with netted 'stretch marks'.

I've just looked at about 200 google images and apart from one which is quite obviously cayenne they all look as I've just described.

HHW are easy and from just next door to Greece and Turkey whereas jalapenos are difficult and are based around the TexMex area.

Unless you have a mexican kebab place in your area I find it all a bit unconvincing.

I suspect the only link is that they are pickled like jalapenos...

On the other hand if you buy real pickled jalapenos you won't be disappointed - I think they go better with vinegar than any other variety.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 09:10:01 »
 ;D,,,you do your research throughly Vilander ;D..how many kebabs did you get through? ;)
Yes you are right, if they are "pointy" they are not Jalapenos.
I suspect that most of the green chillies that are in "catering" packs are Jalapenos..for some reason. Not so long ago in Asda I saw their catering size packs of pizza toppings were on sale..and yes they were using Jalapenos too. I only noticed when I was umming and arring if I should take one, but I would not get through that quantity on my own.
But then again, are all sliced stuff that are sold as Jalapenos really the true type or do they mix in some others that are similar?
Those pointy green chillies I've always seen sold whole in jars.
Once pickled is there really that much flavour difference? I think it is more texture and meatiness that I can differentiate in that stage.
I'll be suprised if Kebab places would take their chillies seriously..as long as its fit the purpose and does the job more like it..and what ever is cheapest..unless you go for more upgrade market kebabs... ;D Ours are just cheap shops.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 22:11:13 »
Goodlife you have it right that cost is a major factor in fast food - and probably a major factor in using cheaper ordinary (but perfectly pleasant) chillis.

However I also go along with the opinion that Jalapenos have a special taste - particularly with vinegar and/or cheese.

It's worth buying some pickled jalapenos and trying them - they are a lot better than the merely OK ones in kebabs!

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 06:55:57 »
Hi vinlander.i have a green peper variety from turkey who is used there.It is long and stays green.if you want seed i will here it from you.greetings ruud.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal