Author Topic: Dogs and Glucosamine / Glycolflex - Any Experience?  (Read 6913 times)

raisedbedted

• Hectare
Dogs and Glucosamine / Glycolflex - Any Experience?
« on: November 12, 2010, 09:48:28 »
Our retriever now 6 really slowed down this year, sleeping a lot more and often not wanting to go for walks.  A couple of time he walked with difficulty limping on his front paws.

I took him to the vet and they suggested putting him on a course of 'Glycolflex' which is a Glucosamine compound, 6 weeks later and he is now as right as rain.

Recent medical research suggests that Glucosamine does no good at all for joints (in humans) so now I'm wondering whether this miracle cure was just coincidence, in which case I'll stop his daily pills and see what happens, or whether it is due to the pills in which case he can continue on the, quite expensive, pills until he needs his paws no more.

Has anyone else had any experience of joint supplements for dogs - I really dont want to stop the pills if the pain and malaise returns even for a short while as he was pretty miserable.
Best laid plans and all that

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
Re: Dogs and Glucosamine / Glycolflex - Any Experience?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 10:08:08 »
Hiya
I have a ball mad collie who gets sore joints after a massive runaround. We really noticed an improvement with a vetzyme product called joint care here it is on ebay below , at first we bought the pedigree joint care sticks which are yummy but pricey but since going on these tablets we have maybe 10% the stiff days that we used to have

thing about the studes is that it is difficult to detect changes in comfort level that would be the indicators of longer term physical preservation , if it works for you and there are no side effects then go for it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-X-VETZYME-HIGH-STRENGTH-FLEIBLE-JOINT-90-TABS-12-2011-/250723350361?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Vitamins_Supplements&hash=item3a6046b759

x sunloving and jake the dog

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 12:40:13 »
We had a rescued bearded collie & we didn't know his age but he became very bad on his hind legs & at first we put him on green lipped muscle. You could try homeopathy. I think the remedy is rhus tox (rusty gates). We used homeopathy with him, he had lots of problems. I also tend not to listen to these reports, previously I heard that arnica gel was as if not more effective that glucosamine gel. Possibly depends on who is doing the research ;) ;D.
Different subject but he had terrible skin problems & the vet was running lots of tests costing a fortune. I decided to wash his bedding in Acdo & his skin problems dissapeared almost over night.

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 22:44:55 »
I'm tending to think I'll just jeep him on the Glycolflex - its only one tablet a day and, to her credit, the vet suggested buying them off the internet rather than the surgery (£32 a pot rather than £54).  £10 a month is little money for such a re invigorated dog as long as they are responsible.

I might even try them myself  ;D

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 23:02:52 »
My dog is on Glucosamine sulphate for dogs from Simply Supplements.  She takes 2 a day.

http://www.simplysupplements.net/product/133/glucosamine-for-catsdogs-500mg/

She can now jump up onto beds and into the back of the car whereas two years ago she had great problems doing these things.

I have been taking Glucosamine sulphate 1500mg a day myself for about 13 years to help with spinal pain.  I came off them about a year or so ago to see if they were really helping and the pain returned.  Needless to say I went back on them.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 19:02:33 »
so many problems or illnesses that dogs and cats get is because of their diet, they really should be raw fed which resolves many of these diseases and at least prevents them in the first place, so that is one idea to try and to improve health - whoever heard of a dog going to 'boots' for a repeat prescription  ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 19:25:46 »
Well..that research mentioned in the news about Glucosamine not doing nothing was a bit misleading..
It was done on patients that had rheumatoid arthritis...and it was found that it did not work for that condition...there was nothing suggesting that it would not work for other conditions/causes.
Neither it was mentioned how bad the subject cases conditions were before the test..would it help those with only problems just starting/mild cases?...or were they really badly effected with it. If so there is not much to be done anyway..so supplements are not going to do miracles anymore anyway ::)
If your "vet"supplement does state the strength you can then easily adjust the "normal" human supplement for the amount appropriate to your dog...as long there is no other supplements combined in same product.
Many vet medicines are same as human versions and just adjusted to body weight of the animal...and the price it adjusted same time too ::)..UP..
My dog has some eye drops for dry eye..through vet they cost £30..in pharmacy same drops for humans £5..I just have to tell that the drops are for me..the packaging doesn't state that they are suitable for animals and are not allowed to sold as such ::) Luckily I have this friend of the friend who is vet and kindly let me in into some money saving "tips" as/when required ;D ;)

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 12:54:57 »
so many problems or illnesses that dogs and cats get is because of their diet, they really should be raw fed which resolves many of these diseases and at least prevents them in the first place, so that is one idea to try and to improve health - whoever heard of a dog going to 'boots' for a repeat prescription  ;D

I can't see any evidence of this, would suggest it far more likely that the high breeding amongst pedigree breeds has led to a prevelance of hip dysplacia and rheumatism in some breeds.  Hence why retrievers, pointers, setters are more prone.

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 12:57:34 »
Well..that research mentioned in the news about Glucosamine not doing nothing was a bit misleading..
It was done on patients that had rheumatoid arthritis...and it was found that it did not work for that condition...there was nothing suggesting that it would not work for other conditions/causes.
Neither it was mentioned how bad the subject cases conditions were before the test..would it help those with only problems just starting/mild cases?...or were they really badly effected with it. If so there is not much to be done anyway..so supplements are not going to do miracles anymore anyway ::)
If your "vet"supplement does state the strength you can then easily adjust the "normal" human supplement for the amount appropriate to your dog...as long there is no other supplements combined in same product.
Many vet medicines are same as human versions and just adjusted to body weight of the animal...and the price it adjusted same time too ::)..UP..
My dog has some eye drops for dry eye..through vet they cost £30..in pharmacy same drops for humans £5..I just have to tell that the drops are for me..the packaging doesn't state that they are suitable for animals and are not allowed to sold as such ::) Luckily I have this friend of the friend who is vet and kindly let me in into some money saving "tips" as/when required ;D ;)

Thanks that is really useful.  I already administer human eye drops to my hound but, sparked by the change in my dog, have started taking glucosamine compound myself, at £20 for 60 tabs it doesnt seem much cheaper though.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 13:48:11 »
I get Lamberts. I've just checked on line & they are 750 mg 2 per day at just over £13. Lamberts are a very good product.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal