Author Topic: pollination aubergines and melons  (Read 3930 times)

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
pollination aubergines and melons
« on: November 17, 2010, 09:55:59 »
Hi All
So every year i grow aubergines (money maker and listada de granda) and melons (lidls special orange) in the greenhouse with the tomatoes and cucumbers and every year they dont seem to set any fruit until i begin to clear away the tomatoes (ie really late on in the season) the toms are polinated fine as the door is usually open.

so my question is is this normal in these fruits and therefore what do you do to increase pollination (when i try with the aubergines they never seem to have much pollen on them to move to other flowers?)

x sunloving

pumkinlover

Re: pollination aubergines and melons
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 12:50:34 »
cannot say why but i struggled to get aubergines to pollinate this year despite doing hand pollination. will be interested to hear your replies thanks for asking.
Anne x

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 23:11:33 »
I don't know about Moneymaker but I tried Listada dG for several years and found it very very late. I'd recommend Long Black if you really must have a big one - I find the smaller ones usually much more reliable.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 10:21:44 »
hi vinlander
so normally with yours you have good pollination without doing anything?

thing is they have plenty of flowers but nothing sets until late aug/sept.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 23:49:17 »
Yeah, in a bad year (07, 08, 09) I got very few late flowers and even fewer later fruit, but in a good year all except the very first flowers are fertilised.

This year was middling but all the flowers produced fruit - though it was a late season and late crop and only one or two per plant got to a reasonable size.

I can only say that Listada D G was one of the latest I ever tried, and I always grow three or more varieties that are small-fruited.

I do this on a multi-eggbasket basis - to get more, more reliable, earlier and tastier but smaller fruit - not to get extra flowers with varying pollen - but maybe it's a good strategy by accident - ?

However I'm in London so the temperatures may be what I'm really benefiting from.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

garrett

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 16:43:14 »
I haven't grown melons, but I have had aubergines. Although you have them in the greenhouse, I find that they pollinate much better when placed outside so the bees can get at them. Maybe you could grow a couple of extra plants next time and leave them outside next summer and see if there's a difference.

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 09:25:46 »
Hi thats a good idea , i think that the smell maybe of tomato plants might mask the flowers?
I do have a new bed outside the gh  that i can give this a try.
Thanks for the suggestion
x sunloving

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 09:50:54 »
We've had much more success with aubergines since we went over to smaller/longer varieties. We get a good crop (carrier bags full) in a 8x6 here without any deliberate pollination...  :-X

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 09:08:50 »
Hi Saddad, thats interesting , which of the varieties would you recomend ive often looked at your harvest pictures with envy  ;D

x sunloving

Spudbash

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 11:08:32 »
The melons I grew under cover this year only set fruit when I pollinated them by hand, around midday.

The aubergines, which were in the same place, set fruit without any help from me, but their flowers were open for a lot longer than the melon flowers.
 :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 11:19:56 »
Hi Sunloving... calliope and Brinjal long are the only ones that spring to mind... I'll ask OH she has more idea about which ones we sowed this year..  :)

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 09:41:19 »
Thats great.
So next year different aubergine varieties and hand polinate melons and maybe plant closer to the door or outside.
Lots of good advice to try thanks very much
x sunloing

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal