Author Topic: 'Growing' salad leaves at Waitrose  (Read 1766 times)

MattD

• Quarter Acre
'Growing' salad leaves at Waitrose
« on: November 09, 2010, 16:59:40 »
Hi all,
As we slowly took leaves from our still productive, but obviously slowing down, salad bowl lettuces at lunchtime yesterday, I commented how well they were doing for November and wished I had got more going when it was warm enough to do so.  ( I had assumed they would all have given up long ago).

I then found in Waitrose that evening small tubs of growing salad leaves for £1, I reckon there are 12-15 plants in there, so I bought a couple of tubs. 

I left them on a cold windowsill overnight (they recommend keeping them in the fridge) and today have put them outside.  I'm seriously thinking of planting them out into pots by the house.

So, any comments on how well they will do?  Should I pop them in the greenhouse?   (and how come they are way cheaper than what garden centres sell in May/June?)

thoughts welcome.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: 'Growing' salad leaves at Waitrose
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 18:52:02 »
This can be a great way to get bargain plants - did it myself over the Spring after a malicious slug frenzy and got maybe 20 plants.  Kept  me in lettuce for weeks..
However it really depends on whats in the mix.  They may keel over at the first bit of frost or they maybe completely hardy.  I'd keep some by the house and some in the GH and maybe some indoors and see what happens...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal