Author Topic: second cropping potatoes problem  (Read 1696 times)

ipt8

• Hectare
second cropping potatoes problem
« on: November 03, 2010, 18:23:59 »
We planted four  varieties of second cropping potatoes on the allotment. Maybe a little late as we were preparing the ground when they arrived.

Most had started off well and we had started earthing them up. We also covered them in a light fleece.

This last week whilst I had flu, the plants suffered. We have had two or three frosts so I suspect that is the problem. Was I wrong to think the fleece would protect them?

Do slugs attack potatoes as I thought some had slug damage?

Pescador

• Hectare
Re: second cropping potatoes problem
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 18:49:47 »
Normally second cropping spuds would be planted under glass, or in a tunnel. You would need to use a very heavy fleece and be in a mild area to get an outdoor crop at this time of year.
Slugs love spuds and its too cold to use predatory nematodes I'm afraid.
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 22:08:59 »
Thanks for that. Sounds about right. This was new to us but never mind. Had not thought they would need to be under glass.

Do you reckon it will have effected the tubers or would they shoot again if I covered them properly?

I expect we do have a high population of slugs as we have just cleared an overgrown plot. I reckon we will use slug traps.

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 21:15:46 »
The tubers might possibly survive the cold, afterall the groundkeepers do, but wether they will shoot again in the spring, I doubt.
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 13:13:59 »

I expect we do have a high population of slugs as we have just cleared an overgrown plot. I reckon we will use slug traps.

Overground slugs will be less of a problem now, it's the little black underground ones that much potatoes, they stay active and there's only two real defences, nematodes or a metaldehyde drench. Nematodes won't work in these temperatures and I wouldn't fancy the metaldehyde drench....

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 19:24:43 »
Our slugs are more active than yours. I put out four slug traps a few days ago and have caught around 20 slugs so far, mostly the little grey jobs, and a couple of slightly bigger black ones. We have had a few frosts as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal