Author Topic: New Allotment  (Read 3828 times)

tilleythetoon

• Black and White IT
New Allotment
« on: October 21, 2010, 11:16:26 »
Hi

After waiting for over 2.5 half years I got a call the other day to say I have been allocated an allotment. I went straight down to the plot which is thankfully the one that is 5 minutes away from home and had a good look around.

I grow tomatoes  each year from a bag and when the recession kicked in I applied for the allotment waiting list, but now I'm not sure where to go next.

From what I saw its covered in grass and weeds and the guy in the next plot who was very and friendly and helpful told me that it will probably get turned over first before its comes over to me. I think this will either be done by the council (according to their website) or the current/previous owner.

He also told me that the the ground is mainly clay.

Since the visit I have done lots of reading both on the internet and in the library and a lot of the writings I read are teaching me about when to sew the seeds how to the maintain the plot but I'm looking for some advice on what to do next.

The plot size is 2.5 Rod, to be honest I could do with some tips on compost as well

Kind regards

Mark

betula

• Hectare
Re: New Allotment
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 11:36:48 »
Congratulations on the new plot...very exciting time.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 11:39:52 »
Well...if it was my plot....
For start with I would start saving all sorts..grass clippings, cardboard, straw, hay, old potting composts..anything that you would put in compost bin, but I would not start 'standard' composting yet.
If you ground is clay it will need loads of compostable material mixed in so it will be nice for your crops next (and following) years.
I would start with by weeding out small area and digging trench there which I would fill with compostable material..once full, dig another trench next to it and topping the previous one with 'soil'...and so for...
Over winter worms will take care of the stuff you have burrowed and you'll end up with soil that is in much better condition and particularly if you cover the 'treated' area with cloth/sheet for the time being.
You can carry on this method without any need for compost bin..or at least untill you have managed to go over the soil at least once..even during summer.
Once you start accumulate 'spare' stuff then 'worry' about composting ;)
If you are able to recognize perennial weeds, those are the ones to 'worry' and get rid of..others..just turn them in, as they will die and worm will digest them ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 11:45:51 »
Hiya, congrats on the plot and welcome to a4a  ;D
when we took on our overgrown and mainly underwater plot, we made a paper plan, measured it, dug the paths onto the bed area and covered the paths, then only walked on these, heavy clay compacts so easily, as goodlife says, the more compostable stuff you can put in, the better.  :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 11:47:17 »
It is really good time of the year to get lottie, you are in no hurry to get planting or sowing and you can consentrate for soil preparation during winter.
Now something I always say to newbies on our lottie...do it little and often..don't spend your time by doing just digging all the time..your body is not used to it and you will suffer if doing too much. For start with, half'n hour per job is plenty..keep changing the jobs and you'll find you can spend a day in lottie if you wish...treated it like sport activity..warm and stretch you body..
Believe me..it may sound a joke..but you will not laugh when you are lying on flood and your back is in agony.. :o..no matter how young or old you may be...
Slowly does it.. ;)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 11:51:49 »
Oh...and..keep off from the soil when it start piling up under your boots..it is too wet and heavy then..and you will not doing any favours to the soil then.. ;)
Good builders blank would be good too to work/walk on ;)
I'll let others to carry on..I could go on with tips for hours.. ::) ;D

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 11:55:28 »
Good luck with your new lotty, I was in a similar position with my allotment three years ago personally I wish I had just dug it and dumped a load of manure on it and left it till the following year, but no I wanted to get stuff in which I did, the only thing I can say is having a lotty is something that takes time to get right and not a race,  :)

tilleythetoon

• Black and White IT
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 11:59:50 »
No keep the tips coming they are much appreciated. Since getting the nod I have started collecting egg shells and cartons, teabags and vegetable peelings and looking at the front garden that looks like it needs a good cut so I will have some of that too.

When you mention creating paths what do you guys tend to use I have some old paving slabs in the shed will they do?

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 12:09:50 »
Hi illeythetoon  and welcome to A4A

Yes old paving slabs would be perfect - I have grass paths, others put down some weed suppressant and then cover it with wood chippings. You might want to use the paving slabs for somewhere to sit and have a cuppa tho  ;)

I'd also have a think about what you want to grow - fruit bushes can go in now, so if you cleared some ground you could then pop to Lidls  :)

But if it is clay and hasn't had much done to it for a while spuds are great. But there's plenty of time to think and plan for those

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 12:17:06 »
Paving slabs..EXCELLENT ;D..I have devided my lottie for sections with paving slabs and using broken ones to make temperary divisions into larger beds.
I try to avoid walking on soil at all times..makes such a big difference..your digging/weeding becomes so much easier task..
But getting hold of second hand ones..for free/cheap is not always easy..
One thing you could also do..is start training your friends and family to think of you and your lottie..this means..when ever they are going to throw something useful away..they have to ask you first if it would be any good for you ;D
You'll be suprised how quickly word will go around..."friend of the friend it doing patio up..slabs..any good for you?"..or along those lines.. ;D

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 16:01:16 »

From what I saw its covered in grass and weeds and the guy in the next plot who was very and friendly and helpful told me that it will probably get turned over first before its comes over to me. I think this will either be done by the council (according to their website) or the current/previous owner.

That's the last thing you want them to do. If they rotavate it, it'll look good for a short while but all it does is cut a million couch grass shoots into 25 million couch grass shoots, all of which will grow.

Personally, with a plot as small as that, I'd spray it with Round Up or cover it completely in carpet. At least then you'll stand a fighting chance.

Good luck with it, it's all worth the effort whatever method you use.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 16:08:06 »
Hi TTT and welcome to the mad world of allotmenteering, if you go to top of the page and click on shop you will find  The Allotment Book by Andi Clevely, its very cheap and will give you a lot of good info, the are quite a few pages on composting, good luck and don't be shy with the questions, by the way I keep my egg shells separate, wash dry and crush leave in a container then spread around certain plants to keep the slugs at bay.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 01:31:45 »
If it's got grass, get digging and don't let them rotovate it.... couch grass is a thing you can deal with now. Dig a bit and plant up some garlic, overwintering/japanese onions and maybe broad beans. Beans can start in pots/modules and go out in a few weeks if need be, you want a variety called Aquadulce Claudia for overwintering. THe next bit to dig would be for fruit bushes if you want them, they can go out any time form now till end of February, but the weather is a bit nicer now than ius usual for Feb :D

Then through the autumn/winter, keep digging it a bit at a time and leave it rough. Come the spring turn as much manure into it as you can lay your hands on for everything except where carrots adn parsnips are going, give the garlic and onions some fertiliser (don't do that now) and you'll be away....

chrisc

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 22:25:32 »
Personally id smother it with black plasticnow and wait till February to rotovate. Then when the seedlings stick there heads above ground id go over it with the propane weed killer. There will be very few weeds make it to March, when you want to start planting.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

tilleythetoon

• Black and White IT
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 09:49:53 »
ok so I got the go ahead yesterday from the council its all mine and it turns out I was looking at the wrong plot. My one is a just large area of mud which I can only describe as the nice and fluffy kind looks like they have turned it over for me.

The only that was left on there was some rhubarb, is it to late to plant anything this weekend?

I should I leave it now until feb

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 11:09:06 »
at least you know which is your plot now  ;D

as to what to plant now - garlic, broad beans and fruit bushes  :)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 14:55:33 »
to be honest I could do with some tips on compost as well

Welcome to the site.  This should answer most of your composting questions:
http://www.recyclenow.com/home_composting/index.html
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 18:43:18 »
As Goodlife said soil preparation should be the order of the day!

Came across this picture in my files today!  I guess it puts a whole new meaning the the expression;  THE BIG DIG Perhaps you can invest in one of these

Just joking !!  ;D

But this link for new allotmenteers  might help; http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Allotments/01-Introduction.htm

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal