Does anyone recognize this veg?

[/img]

Apparently it's Italian "Cabbage/Cauliflower"

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Re: ?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 21:01:54 »
I have seen it somewhere Glyn.  Wracking my brains here but I think that it may be called fabinachi, but Im sure that someone else more knowledgabel will tell you. 
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 21:13:16 »
Hi glyn,it is called romanesco,tastes a little bit like cauliflower/broccoli.I had it also on my plot.

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 21:18:37 »
Glyn,look at this webside and you find the information you need.www.italianseedandtool.com

Glyn

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2004, 21:25:03 »
That's it ruud, I found it rather too dense in texture and flavour, and could only manage small portion's, but never the less very palatable?

You were close Mimi, so close.

Thanks

ps It so reminded me off Christmas cos they look like xmas tree's don't they?

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2004, 21:44:30 »
Did you grow that one Glyn?
They are available at the greengrocers here in Holland. I think they look so pretty, just wish I could grow cabbage things in my lottie but the clubroot is too wide spread.

Glyn

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2004, 22:48:43 »
It's taken me half an hour to get in here and post this reply, just to say "No I didn't grow it Ina". The mrs picked it up at the market and they were'nt sure what it was there? 

So thanks all

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2004, 22:51:54 »
I remember now when I saw this.  Over the Chistmas period here we have some lectures from the Royal Institute.  These are usually science or physics based.  A few years ago they did a series of lectures on 'fractals' and they used one of these cauliflowers as an example. 
Quote:         Simply put, fractals are shapes which show similar features at different sizes. Much as a very close inspection of a rock can show similar features to an aerial view of a mountain, fractal shapes are characterized by this property of self-similarity.

Woohoo.... science stuff  :)
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Glyn

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2004, 23:42:46 »
Hence the mountain of Christmas trees Mimi?

Pixie

• Acre
  • Chorlton the magical happiness dragon
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2004, 12:30:48 »
They sell them in Safeways (sorry Morrisons) in Cornwall my lover said there was no way he was going to eat one - cali should look like cali as that is waht they are marketing it as.

Sam

"Jump in, we'll take you for a spin, and show you round the Wheelie World..."

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2004, 13:38:18 »
I grew them on the plot, altho not successfully as I fear my soil was toooo soft for them to head up properly, however, they have produced masses and masses of smaller spears which I have been cutting like brocolli and enjoying for ages!

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2005, 20:57:17 »
You could be finding out why F1 varieties are so popular EJ, rather than anything you have done. Sometimes called the 'Mother of Broccoli'. Presumably because broccoli/calabrese was developed from it.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
Re: Romanesco
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2005, 00:33:56 »
Oooh yes - romanesco;  beautiful to look at, and truly gorgeous to eat. 

And easy to grow on my old plot - anxiously waiting to see if they grow as easily on the new.  If it grow easily on your soil - well worth a go, imho :-)

All best - Gavin

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2005, 01:50:11 »
Unfortunately not in a climate where it isn't winter hardy Gavin. The unevenness EJ has noted really makes it a waste of space here- I came to that conclusion after three years of growing it in the 1980's and getting less than 50% of harvestable heads before frost ruined it. That included trying in the last two years the cultivar 'Minaret' which promised improved uniformity. My abandoning it is despite my opinion of it's flavour agreeing with yours- I would imagine Glyn got some heads grown in California, which would put anyone off! My trials with red Brussels sprouts also ended with the same conclusion despite, again, their noticeably better flavour than others.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2005, 02:15:20 »
Ah, John - definitely a strong argument for moving house!  :-)

All best - Gavin

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal