Author Topic: Feeding a Christmas tree?  (Read 7023 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Feeding a Christmas tree?
« on: November 26, 2010, 16:54:41 »
I was kindly given a baby Christmas tree by a fellow A4A member a couple of years ago. It is going strong in its pot and I put it outside my front door with solar lights and decorations last year. However it is looking a bit yellow. I'm going to get it a bigger pot and have two questions. When is the best time to re-pot it? And is there something I should feed it with?

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Feeding a Christmas tree?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 20:12:19 »
I should think you could repot at any time if you can just lift it out and put it in a bigger pot. Our potted box plants went a bit yellow but a good feed with nitrogen heavy food got them greening up again.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 20:39:03 »
Caroline...you can feed it just normal Blood, fish and bone meal or ericacaous feed if you have handy..or even chicken pellets but with trees it is important that what ever you use do it in small doses...trees don't use fertilizer in quantity..little amount now and then is good. Pot it when ever you can and start feeding in spring..but after later summer slow down and stop feeding by late autumn. Winter trees don't really 'do anything' and they don't need feeding. ;)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 11:23:08 »
Thanks- it's covered in snow today so will wait  bit!

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 17:25:33 »
I would say feed it in the spring as the new growth flushes. Encouraging soft growth at this time of year is not good.

The yellowing could be the need for a feed or waterlogging in the pot.

Another cause can be aphids. After they have done their damage you usually find last years needles are not staying on the tree, and of course the yellowing can be because of them sucking the sap. You need a lens to see them, not there at this time of year though. Its the green spruce aphid that is the culprit.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal