Author Topic: Ripening at last.  (Read 2249 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Ripening at last.
« on: October 28, 2010, 23:14:29 »
I've been very patient, but have finally been able to have a taste of one of these, seeds removed and filled with cream cheese - love 'em!

[attachment=1]

Tricia

pumkinlover

Re: Ripening at last.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 07:08:26 »
I am not a chilli expert by any means but I've never seen a plant that tall! What variety is it?

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Re: Ripening at last.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 12:42:35 »
Oh dear - I knew someone would ask me that. It is a Peppadew (which is a registered and protected trademark name). Someone gave me some seeds years ago and I've always kept a few seeds from the one plant I grow each year. This year's plant is over 2 meters tall from the soil to the tip - and I've been removing new growth from the tip for the last couple of months as it was getting too near the ceiling. I've always found the plant to be very straggly - maybe I should pinch out the top growth earlier, but the leaves are between 10 and 15 Cm apart, so it seems to be a naturally straggly plant. As you can see in the photo I grow this one indoors by the south-facing patio window, but even though I sowed the seeds on 3 January they've only started to ripen in the last week or so.
I have an overwintered one in my tiny greenhouse too, but they are still showing no sign of turning red.

I'm going to try sowing all my chilli and sweet pepper seeds on 1. December to see if that will make any difference next year. They really do need a very long growing season!

Tricia

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal