Author Topic: Bubblewrap advice  (Read 2027 times)

OberonUK

• Quarter Acre
Bubblewrap advice
« on: November 12, 2010, 17:13:23 »
I have an aluminium framed greenhouse and want to insulate it a bit more over this winter which obviously means bubble-wrap. I have the fixing things but was wondering if anyone had any advice about which size bubbles work best? Do people advise the big 1" bubbles or the small ones? Two layers of small? My thinking is that the bigger bubbles will let through more light but that is only a guess. Any tips on where to buy it from? I'm keeping clear of my local garden centre, which is all Christmas and pink wellies, as they were selling theirs at an astronomical price and I'd have needed a second mortgage! I know I need to keep the ventilation free-flowing. I bow to experience and hope to hear your views on bubbles.

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Bubblewrap advice
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 07:54:33 »
In the past I have just saved reasonable sized bits and used clothes pegs to clip it to the frame.

But if you do not have a lot just make a cheap movable frame from some old baton, staple the bubblewrap on it and just insulate part of the greenhouse.

Cheap bubblewrap, any furniture store will have skip loads they want to get rid off. It does not matter about the size of the bubbles.

But, saying all this, I have never been completely convinced it made a blind bit of difference.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
Re: Bubblewrap advice
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 09:58:25 »
Hi
its all about the air inside so try not to actually stick the wrap to the window but leave an air gap between them. they say that the larger bubbles are better but i would bet that it doesnt make much difference to the temp really.

becuase of the blanket effect of making an air pocket you can also use normal transparent plastic (i used the wrap that my sofa and fridge freezer came in and a shower curtain) . I always rig up a wire going accross the ridge like a washing line and then drape the plastic like a tent over it securing at the corners.

good luck
x sunloving

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal