Author Topic: Budgie help please  (Read 2237 times)

Yellow Petals

Budgie help please
« on: December 26, 2004, 16:28:35 »
Hello all.

Am wondering if there are any budgie experts on here who might be able to offer me some advice on my little feathered friend.

We've had Shosty since February 04 (and he was quite young when we got him) and we haven't had any problems up until now.  He's fit, healthy, lively, playful etc., but at the moment he's gone REALLY quiet, very fat and fluffy and the the feathers on his head have stuck up like a crest and are quite stiff, as if something has been spilt on them (which hasn't happened of course) And every half hour or so he looks as if he's struggling to bring something up and gives his whole body a good old shake at the same time. He isn't singing or playing at the moment, just sleeping.  He has tired looking eyes.  He is still eating and drinking (or was yesterday anyway) He hasn't had anything out of the ordinary, just his Trill seed, a millet, some treaty "chit chat" mixed in with his seed and some grit scattered in the bottom of his cage and in one of his little dishes on the perch mirror (and water of course) He isn't in a draft of any kind and nothing new has been introduced to the cage.
I'm quite worried, as he just doesn't seem right.  This happened a couple of weeks back and we had put it down to one of the branches he had in the cage.  We assumed he'd chewed off the bark and the sap had got onto his feathers and stuck them so we took out the branches and replaced them with perches.  We just thought that perhaps the sticky feathers had made him uncomfortable and feeling a bit down.  We bought some spray from the vets and he sorted himself out nicely.

Now it's happened again. He hasn't even made a single cheep today which is so unlike him.  Usually we cannot shut him up and he loves to play.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sam.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2004, 21:26:02 by Yellow Petals »

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
Re: Budgie help please
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2004, 17:47:54 »
GIVE HIM TO THE LOCAL CAT FOR HIS DINNER!!!!!! :o

JustMarian

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2004, 20:33:10 »
So very sorry to hear of your poorly budgie.  I used to own them years ago - I reckon you should call at the vet as soon as possible.  I hope he gets better soon.  Good luck!

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2005, 21:12:20 »
Hi
Just coming to any news regarding your budgie.  How is he/she doing now ??
 :)
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Yellow Petals

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 01:46:47 »
Budgie is all ok now, thanks.

I received some advice from a former budgie breeder on another board that I use and a link to a website with allsorts of information re budgie ailments which was most helpful.

Sam.

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2005, 18:28:58 »
I am glad you were able to solve your problem !
Bye for now.
 :)
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal