Author Topic: Starter Plots  (Read 2268 times)

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Starter Plots
« on: October 24, 2010, 15:32:01 »
This time last year we introduced the idea of Starter Plots, aimed at novice gardeners who wanted to have a go at allotments. We’d found from experience that even a half-plot - especially if it was covered with weed & bramble - was far too daunting for a beginner with limited time and little experience. I’ve mentioned them a few times, but now - twelve months on - I thought I ought to give a report for those of you who might be thinking of trying the same idea.

We inherited a plot laid out with a dozen raised beds, each about 12’ by 4’, plus some small cold frames, a compost heap and a small grassed area with fruit trees. So we offered novices on the waiting list a pair of beds, plus a share in the communal bits, and as much advice as they felt they needed. The deal was that they rented the plot for a year, at the end of which time they would have a choice of staying put for another year or moving on to a “proper” plot.

Initially, we had three takers, although one of those dropped out during the winter for health reasons. The others were taken up very slowly during the spring and early summer and we did wonder whether we’d made a mistake or not. But the original two were going great guns and gaining in confidence, chatting to other plot-holders, swapping plants, joining in working parties. And at our summer BBQ the whole Starter Plot area looked brilliant and was the centre of attention.

Those first two have now moved on and are getting to grips with a real plot, with a third about to follow suit. And we’re filling their starter plots with newcomers. When I asked the three moving on whether it had been successful or not, they were unanimous in agreeing that if they’d had a proper plot to start with, they’d have given up! It’s been a steep learning curve - for us as much as them - but I think it’s been worth it.

elvis2003

• Hectare
Re: Starter Plots
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 15:55:35 »
all very interesting,great news that it has worked out so well,well done you for making the brave step!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 15:58:24 »
What a good idea and I am so glad that it has worked! On our allotment site we have had a few that have given up on their plots after two seasons. Its such a shame to see a plot not being used and being allowed to run to seed. It seems like you have a "plan" there Trevor.

Duke :)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 16:20:09 »
Excellent idea-glad it's working out for everyone concerned.  I initially was mad keen to get a full plot, but, in hindsight, the way things have worked out, with a share in a half-plot, has been perfect for me, and for the friend I share with.  A whole plot would have been far too much for me to deal with.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 17:06:52 »
Glad to hear it has worked out well. I must say I am SO much happier with my plot now than I was this time last year, having given up half of my full size plot. I've had a good harvest and managed to dig over nearly the whole area ready for winter. It's the first time I've really felt on top of things. It's just a shame that the people who took on the other half have found even that too much and seem to have given up. ::)

Mushy Pea

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 17:56:59 »
An excellent idea Trevor_D.

Glad to hear it has worked for you.

This is something that I suggested at our plots to encourage newbies and perhaps children to get interested in allotments.

Some people might only have time for a raised bed or two and this way the plots are kept busy and weed free.

Hopefully we might take this up next year.

MP.

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 08:47:06 »
Hi Trevor,

I'd second your idea as I've also seen it work well.  Nantwich has a few starter plots, a quarter of a standard plot which are available to newbies or those who don't want a full plot.  We were drafted in ( as experts,  hardy har) to help a friend get going on her new quarter plot.  For her, it's as much as she can handle with a 2 year old in tow, not too much experience and a full time job.  it's exposing the little one to growing things too which I'm all for, without being such a big job that it all gets too much and gets abandoned.  We helped her dig it over to get the worst of the weeds out before winter and now they're both looking forward to the spring to get going in earnest.

I'd encourage other sites to go down this route too.

Cheers
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Manouche

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 16:53:02 »
We also have these small plots on Milton Piece in Portsmouth.
They were taken up very quickly by people who have waited years on the list so a big success.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 17:47:52 »
I have divided some of our full-size plots into quarters, each measuring about 25ft x 25ft.  They have been perfect for those who have taken them on and three of the people have since moved on to larger plots. 

The Council have recently told us that we are having another four plots, in the currently grassed areas around the site.  They are all fairly large half-size plots, just under 200 sq. yds. and I am going to divide a couple of them up into smaller plots.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 17:55:02 »
In our site we have talks toward the idea of splitting plots smaller too..only talk though..but fewer people have time to tend to our plots as they are on rather large side.
Goodie..now I can report how things are done and going on elsewhere.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 19:28:53 »
We've split quite a few plots on our site, so time will tell.   :-\      ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 18:05:35 »
Our site is all half plots (and not very big ones at that)... Apparently the plot at the bottom opposite adn down one from mine on the other side of the path is supposed to be four starter plots, but no-oine has started on any of them yet.....  It looks like soem of the folks who have taken on plots have already stopped and like I say , to my mind they're not that big, less than half waht I had on my previous site.... I'm torn between hoping they come back and hoping they don't. Most of them were ploughed adn rotavated a few of months ago and are now exploding with couch grass  as you'd expect, if they'd got through digging them bynow they'd be OK but I've a horriblye feeling that they don't realsie what's grown back since they were rotavated.... The bit of me that wants them back wants to see allotment life flourishing, the bit that doesn't is the bit that wants another lpot cos what I've got is not big enough for what I want to do.....  ;D THe only thing is digging through them will be a horror by the spring, If I do get one of those then it'll be getting rotavated (by me) at the end of February, weedkiller in early March, then covered adn I'll get spuds, squash and sweetcorn planted through plastic on there adn deal with the proper digging next autumn....

chrisc

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal