Author Topic: Whats Gone Wrong With My Sweet Dumplings  (Read 2316 times)

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
Whats Gone Wrong With My Sweet Dumplings
« on: October 24, 2010, 13:41:00 »
I tried growing Sweet Dumpling Quash for the first time this year and when I tried them back in the summer I found I liked them. I picked the rest when the leaves died back and put them in the greenhouse out of the frost but on trying them again found they were very bitter and uneatable.
the ones I kept still have a bit of green on, is it because they were not ripe?and does this mean that only the early ones are edible?
was going to grow them again next year but am having second thoughts
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Re: Whats Gone Wrong With My Sweet Dumplings
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 20:50:02 »
Sorry to laugh, but that heading does sound rude, or is it just my dirty mind.  ;D ;D ;D

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 21:06:28 »
I would think that in a better sunnier summer they would have been OK. so don't give up as they are a lovely squash. Were they in a sunny position?
Got to agree with Borlotii -but it such a lovely sounding name- just makes you want to grow them doesn't it!!
And then say to your friends -"Would you like to see my Sweet Dumplings?" :)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 21:08:03 »
My daughter had an office she used to work in in stitches by asking if anyone would like a bite of her muffins. I think that is a pretty normal question ;) ;D ;D ;D.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 21:17:04 »
Sorry to laugh, but that heading does sound rude, or is it just my dirty mind.  ;D ;D ;D
that makes two of us  ;D ;D

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 00:09:28 »
Where did you get the seed from? If it was self-saved then you might have a cross-fertilised strain with something else in the mix.... Otherwise it's an odd'un... I was going to try them next year in a test of small-fruited squashes ... I had some ridiculously big things this year adn whilst impressive to look at 20lb + Boston Winter's are of no use to me, neither are Lunga di Napoli... great to look at but I don't need a squash the size of my thigh....

As to the rest of you, wash your filthy minds out with Jeyes Fluid.....

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 08:46:02 »
I found this link interesting http://www.ifood.tv/blog/why-does-squash-taste-bitter  and may go some way to explaining. If you only had the one plant it perhaps indicates environmental factors produced the bitterness. Seems the bitter ones can cause an upset tummy  :(
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 10:16:03 »
;D no borlottie,not just your mind! just a bit of attention seeking on my part ;) I gavea few plants away and made one (good humoured gent) laugh when I told him that they S D came in pairs. ;D
the seed came from Kings and they were in a sunny position but could have too dry or wet (thanks for the link Jayb) because I tend to leave my lotty crops to the weather. I had several plants but only picked the yellow ones back in the summer but I noticed the link said overripe oned being bitter not underripe so remain puzzled.  I'm afraid I'v mixed them up so have no way of knowing which came from what plant :-\
they are yellow with green strips at the moment so I think I will leave them in the greenhouse for nowand try cooking a bit at a time to see if they are all like it (the 2 bitter ones so far could have come from the same plant)
thankyou for your help, with update if I find out more
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 23:08:21 »
Isn't the title a previously undiscovered book by Tennessee Williams or a follow up movie to "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane"

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 13:51:49 »
Yes - now up to you to write it!   :)

Useful link Jayb - we did have a very long drought, so if squash get stressed, they would have been very stressed this year! 

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 10:29:53 »
One of the friends I gave plants to said hers were fine so I,m hoping it might be just one particular plant
I remember finding some small ones under a Marigold so I think I will just cook a bit in the microwave before cooking each one.
thankyou for yourhelp
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal