Author Topic: Poorly chicken  (Read 2614 times)

lalilala

• Not So New ...
Poorly chicken
« on: October 31, 2010, 11:53:59 »
Hi, I have a poorly chicken. She is lethargic, standing on one leg, slightly stooped down. Feathers seem puffed up. I think she may have a chill? Eyes still bright , nose not runny and comb not too floppy. We have checked for lice ect and no signs. Wormed recently. Crop not distended??? Watching her she does peck around and I have seen her at the feed. Any ideas?

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Poorly chicken
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 14:48:40 »
Those are typical symptoms of when chicken is not feeling well..what ever the reason..unfortunately it is almost impossible to tell yet until she start develop more specific symptoms.
Often it doesn't have to be anything dramatic..they do have 'off days' just live we human do and first thing they do...hunch up..
As long as she have access to clean water, food and grit..her basic needs are met..and if she does eat or is able to from other girls..even better..
Mine are moulting at the moment..and the ones that are behave exactly like you have described..+the feather drop.
Maybe some treat would do a trick..as long as she has appetite, all is not too bad..try some high energy food..like sunflower hearts..sweetcorn (loose,frozen sort thawed in warm water)  ;) Other than that..there is not much you can do..until she takes turn one way or other.. If you have some poultry drink type addition to water..or other type extra 'vitamin pill' ..that would do world of good too ;)

chicken girl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 14:26:33 »
Try adding some cider vinegar to drinking water this will help to pep her up a bit  hope she gets better  :)

lalilala

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 14:16:24 »
I have checked her thoroughly today. Even felt for blockage or stuck egg, but nothing. I think she must be starting a malt. Will take some treats tonite. Fingers crossed.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal