Author Topic: Whats my chances?  (Read 1208 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Whats my chances?
« on: October 22, 2010, 11:30:46 »
Hi All,

In the spring i planted up 2 growbags with onion and garlic sets they never really grew very big so i never really pushed to pull them up :) Now they have all just about sprouted again.

Whats my chances of getting something slightly bigger that i might be able to use ?

I remember one of my fellow plot holders on there plot would leave 1/3 of the onions usualy the small ones in the ground for next years crop and it worked for him?

Advice as always appreciated.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Whats my chances?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 13:26:10 »
They will start to grow in Spring... but are likely to bolt. If you don't need the space you have nothing to loose. Don't leave them in regularly though as you can build up diseases.  :)

kypfer

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 18:55:52 »
They will start to grow in Spring... but are likely to bolt

... which needn't be a problem, just don't expect to be able to store the bulbs for an extended period of time if they do. They'll taste perfectly fine and if you let the flowers set seed, you'll have some free seed for next year ... works for me   ;)

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 20:27:24 »
The onions and garlic have got over 4inches of growth on them was worried the frost might get to them. As for room no problem there still in there grow bags holding down the weed membrane until i got some more wood chips.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 22:08:12 »
Yes, the onion will bolt..but if the garlic didn't have a chance to divide into cloves then it will just grow bigger and will be larger bulb next year ;D..BUT..if your garlic did divide then it will just start growing as normal and if you do not divide it you will just end up with loads of garlic tops as cloves won't have room to grow..they will need to be separated for proper growth.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 22:36:06 »
it never divided ;) yippie

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal