Author Topic: Puppy Farms in Wales  (Read 1429 times)

betula

• Hectare
Puppy Farms in Wales
« on: October 22, 2010, 20:38:18 »
About time they started to do something about this,makes my blood boil.

Why they just can't close these places I don't know.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11604628?utm_medium=twitter

betula

• Hectare
Re: Puppy Farms in Wales
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 20:41:31 »
And I am mad at that woman in the film for returning that poor animal to the breeder   >:( >:( >:(

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 21:30:47 »
The Welsh Assembly HAVE done something about it. They are the ones who offered money to Welsh farmers to set up these puppy farms in the first place. People have short memories!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 21:37:25 »
My dog had puppies 9 years ago. What a lot of work and expense was involved! 4 lovely healthy pups though who all went to members of the family - so no profit involved.

Actually I don't know how people make money from breeding pups unless they do it on a large scale or cut corners with the care involved.

It makes me very sad when I see those poor animals shut in and ignored, dirty, sometimes diseased and going stir-crazy.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 22:41:27 »
Maybe the Welsh Assembly did not know what a load of mean ,cruel and brutal people would take on this breeding.???

I have seen much worse pictures of these farms that have been taken secretly and put on the internet.They ,make you cry I can tell you.

You google and you will find them.

There are laws now about care for animals and I just do not understand how they get away with it.

I for one will never buy another pedigree animal although I adore my westie.

When I bought her I thought I was buying from a mum in Stroud,complete with kids and happy home life.

I was so ignorant.

My westie has huge behaviour problems,I contacted westie rescue for advice and they informed me that this person buys in from Puppy farms and they have had to deal with many pups from this so called breeder.

We made the decision to stick with our dog and we are finding improvement very slow.........she has been so closely bred the problems will never go away altogether.

She is really hard work
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 22:44:20 by betula »

CoffeePot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 19:49:05 »
Hi, it's a start,but I agree it'd be better if they could be closed. Fancy returning that pup because it was terrified! Poor little mite.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 09:53:22 »
In the past I have had  working dogs so obviously I like dogs, but there should be no such a thing as 'Puppy Farms' how stupid to ask farmers to diverse in to dog breeding when there are far to many dogs in the country anyway (ask my shoe soles), looking at those dogs it is just like looking at a lion in a zoo pacing up and down in a cage, with so many dogs on these farms how can they keep a check on bitches that are coming into season and could end up X breeding with a close relative this is a reason why the dogs go nuts and come out deformed, I can't see a farmer terminating a pregnancy because it is money to him, :)

Sally A

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 17:49:13 »
I'd never get a pedigree; too many inbred problems (other than a working collie - but they can suffer from eyesight/cataracts from age 12+).

1st dog (1970ish)- Judy, black collie-X from a local farm, think parents paid a small amount as she had been vaccinated etc.
2nd dog - Tasha (1985) - Golden Lab-x - went to the pub to play darts, came home with a pup, she lived until 12ish and then had an internal haemorage (sp?).
3rd dog - Jumbo (1998)  ::) after Tasha, we did walkies at the weekend up the dogs home, offered to have a 12 year old black GSD-X wimp over bonfire weekend, ie just for the weekend, but somehow got lumbered  :) - free as no-one wanted him  :'( Half a tail, farted for England, bad teeth..........lived 'til 17 until he had a stroke.
4th & 5th dog (2003)- Poppy & Ben - dogs home again (must be homed together)  Poppy was the pretty one, Ben was the awkward sod that was like son of Jumbo, normal price £100 for bitches, £95 for a dog, managed a BOGOF  8)  Poppy was put to sleep 2009 aged 12/13 ish) with a liver tumour, Ben is still with us, aged about 15, deaf, stupid and his back legs give way after a doze so he's like Bambi on Ice on the hard floor, oh yes, and currently flea ridden (the fleas avoid the treatment by hopping on to me - Yuk).

I flinch at people that insist on pedigree puppies, they use the excuse that a puppy will get on with children better, I disagree, my daughter was bitten by Tasha, daughter aged 2, dog aged 8.  "What did you do to her?" I asked "Nothing" daughter: until I looked through the crack in the door and saw daughter jumping full bellyflop onto the dog.  Before this the Health Visitor used to shudder when she saw daughter asleep on the settee, legs akimbo, and the dog alongside with her head on daughters tum.  (PS.  My daughter has no allergies to pets or anything else - slobbery rules OK!).

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 22:55:22 »
There are plenty of good and ethical breeders of pedigree dogs who love their dogs and treat them really well. The puppy farms are places that generally have no love of dogs or of a specific breed but breed pedigree dogs for maximum profit. There are plenty good pedigree dogs out there.

I've had cocker spaniels all my life and never had any with the commonly associated in-breeding defects except for a tendency to ear infections. And once you know that's a weakness you just make sure you clean their ears on a regular basis.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 19:34:56 »
I bred and showed dogs most of my life and have to say there are a great many good dedicated breeders out there who abhor the puppy farms.

When I lived in the UK before I left originally in 77 I did quite alot of work with animal rescue. One of the things I did was to take unwanted breeders from the farms in Yorkshire.. an awful job,but one that had to be done.They seemed to stay just inside the law which was dreadful. However by trying to remain objective we managed to get many dogs out and into good homes by not being judgemental with the breeders. It was easier for them to phone us than destroy the animal..as I said an awful job and very very difficult to do. I continued here when I arrived in the 70's. then it was puppies transported from puppy farms in the mid central US, terrible situation. I am so surprised it is still going on in the UK actually.

An awful terrible business.. don't ever get too close, it will break your heart.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal