Author Topic: chriscross1966's squash swap and mass buy 2011  (Read 28239 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
chriscross1966's squash swap and mass buy 2011
« on: October 19, 2010, 11:59:46 »
OK folks, in view of the wonderful European seed sites that someone put up in another thread I'm going to suggest combining the squash swap with a group buy for some varieties. I'll try and harvest a list out of the sites over the course of the next few days and get a googledoc spreadsheet going so people can put themselves down for things....

chrisc

pumkinlover

Re: chriscross1966's squash swap and mass buy 2011
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 14:09:33 »
please explain to a beginner? do i detect the possiblilty of getting new varieties of squash seeds. sounds great but I have grown all mine together and in view of the notorious promiscuity of squashes would not have anything to donate except a heinz57 :'(

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 18:42:29 »
It's not that hard to keep strains pure if you have daily access to your plot, so their are plenty of seed-savers out there... that said some of the saved seed I got in the last swap turned out Heinz :D....

From the buying point of view, as an example, I don't think I'll want more than two or three seeds of any squash, I like variety and next year I'll be concentrating on dwarfs due to my space restriction (unless another allotment turns up avalable on my site)... I still won't need a packet of ten of them though and that's the s,allest pack that bobby-seeds does.... KCB-Samen looks like doing 15 in their standard pack.... Now I could some of the seeds I waqnt and swap for the rest but it should be just as easy to set up a group buiy as well as running the swap. So [eople send me spare seeds for swaps and money (somehow) to cover things where two or three of us are splitting a packet. It saves on postage overall as I would be posting stuff out in the swap anyway but it means that the stuff coming from abroad comes through in one parcel with an overall saving on postage....

chrisc

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 20:43:21 »
ooh I told myself I don't need any more seeds. Now you've got me tempted...

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 21:39:06 »
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I knew posting KCB-Samen's website was dangerous!!

I told myself the other day NO MORE NEW SQUASH SEEDS

anyway, just out of pure scientific curiosity, what are you thinking about getting Chris  :)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 02:14:14 »
All the small edible ones and one oddball looking one, dunno which one yet...

chrisc

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 19:31:19 »
I do an annual order from Baker Creek in USA (www.rareseeds.com), they generally have about 25 squash seeds per packet. Happy to donate a few seeds from the packs that I get.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 22:11:56 »
I do an annual order from Baker Creek in USA (www.rareseeds.com), they generally have about 25 squash seeds per packet. Happy to donate a few seeds from the packs that I get.
Pretty certain you did that last year Suzanne.... indeed, I'm also pretty certain I should be holding you responsible for the Boston Winter that is currently blocking the door into my lounge :D

chrisc

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 15:01:31 »
i had missed this thread, house move and change of internet provider. Can i still join? Didn't manage to save seed but would be up for bulk buy. Just looked at the above web site..........where do you start :o they all look pretty!
                   Twoflower

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 15:29:44 »
I'd like to join too if possible - I have already brought quite a number of packets of squash seeds as I wanted a few of each only - would love to have the chance to swop more!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 16:50:30 »
We haven't started yet, I plan to fire it up at the start of December adn do the buy in January, giving plenty of time to get the stuff split up adn sent out etc I doubt anyone in mainland UK really gets to start squash off before the end of March....

chrisc

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 16:22:44 »
Hi Chris -  if I can add any from my multitudinous supply let me know, I'll be away for most of Dec and Jan, but can always pop a few bits in the post to bulk some swaps if you like  :)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 17:17:18 »
Hi Chris -  if I can add any from my multitudinous supply let me know, I'll be away for most of Dec and Jan, but can always pop a few bits in the post to bulk some swaps if you like  :)

That might be an idea, PM me if you still need an address, I'll try and get the spreadsheet sorted out this weekend....

I'll need to know what you're looking for and/or don't want... ie white/black lists...

chrisc

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 22:53:37 »
will do - I need to check my supplies and see what is surplous

I'll be in touch for your addy

1066  :)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 13:20:41 »
OK folks, the spreadhseet is here:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0An48BOmv88h_dERlM01KWUprc1RkM0hzcTdFNV9sVHc&hl=en&authkey=CLGZxZAB

At the moment anyone can view, but you have to be added to the list to be able to edit.

I hope that works. can folks let me know. PM me your email addresses if you want to be able to join in. PLease do not send me a long list with a request that I do it, I don't mind doing the odd line or two.
TO add you name as a requestee for any given squash when there is already a requestee then using ALT+Enter at the end of their name will add another line inside the same box (just like every other spreadsheet program does)

chrisc

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 22:10:15 »
I wil join chrisscross,i am ordening here in holland some squahes and pumpkins,maybe i am having excess to some other varieties.I have already enough queensland blue seeds.I will here it from you wenn we really get started.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 08:57:09 »
I am not sure I ought to join becuase my spare room is full of squashes and pumpkins but please could I join as well.  It will give me some ideas on how the spreadsheet works.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 09:24:56 »
OK that's a prompt for me too, to have a sort out. When is your cut off date?

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 19:59:41 »
I oughtn't either but I want to join in anyway!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 01:50:04 »
Sorry folks there will be a day or so before I get the permissions etc sorted out, I just spent the evening elbow deep in my PC to get it up and running on a new OS (migrating from Mandriva to Opensuse and it's not completely plain sailing)... turned out the new hard-drive adn controller card (LSI Ultra-320 SCSI into a 15k cheetah sca drive) isn't a bootable combination.... gah.... so by the time I'd finished messing around with that I'd run out of time and need to go to sleep now....

Likely cutoff will be sometime early January anyway so plenty of time....

THe spreadsheet is pretty easy, what we want  is one line per variety with folks who have seeds of any given variety either adfding it to the list (if it isn't there already) or else adding to the entry already there. Ditto on the same line for people looking for the variety. If you need to enter your name and quantity into a box where there is already such a thing then highlight the box, and its contents will appear in the edi tbar at the top of the screen, click the cursor onto the end of the line, press and hold Alt and hit Enter (then you can let go of Alt) and it will create a new line inside the same box..... If you have a request for a variety that isn't already on the list create a line for it....

chrisc

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal