Author Topic: Alternative Christmas Donations to Perennial  (Read 1783 times)

:(

• Acre
Alternative Christmas Donations to Perennial
« on: October 13, 2010, 10:24:51 »
One of the members that wanted Perennial, The Gardeners' Royal Benevolent Society  to get some support has suggested this, thank you.

If youd like to support Perennial and help ease the suffering of some very needy people heres how.

You can donate securely online here-

http://shop.perennial.org.uk/acatalog/donation.html

If youre a UK taxpayer you can Gift Aid your donation in the checkout process. And theres no commercial organisation like Justgiving taking a percentage of your donation. ALL of what you give goes right to the charity to support its work. You dont get the kudos of seeing your name on a webpage or eligibility for a prize but I think thats not why people give to charity anyway.

And while youre making a donation have a look at their shop. They have some great gardening themed Christams gifts, stocking fillers and Christmas cards. If youre doing Secret Santas this is the place to shop!

How about 50 Ways to Kill a Slug (review from Amazon)

The most oft-asked question to gardening columns is what to do about slugs. This humorous little book offers fifty ways of dispatching these slimy devils of the night. No longer weep over munched delphiniums, no longer curse upon discovering a row of chomped seedlings or scream in anguish over the slimed hosta. From the totally impractical to tried and tested methods of slugicide, this book will have every gardener crying tears of laughter, the cartoons accompanying each tip perfectly depicting the cunning of the soon-to-be-dead. From Dutch slug-eating triffids to kitchen blenders, salt and nematodes, eau-de-yucca to weed burners.. Just show the book to your local slug colony and you won't see them for slime! A great present for all gardeners and worth its weight in gold to every slug sufferer. - Lucy Watson

Or a Bean Forgetful Message Pad

http://shop.perennial.org.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Cards.html

Or some Metal Herb Markers

http://shop.perennial.org.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Gardening.html

I like the Gift Wrap thats called Snow Garden, a must have if youre giving to someone who has cats!

http://shop.perennial.org.uk/acatalog/Books__Cards__Pens___Stationery.html

Ill keep bumping this till Christmas, thank you on behalf of Perennial. I dont work for them or have any connection with them other than believing they are a very worthy cause and their work deserves support.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 10:31:34 by weequinie »

• Acre
Re: Alternative Christmas Donations to Perennial
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 11:09:36 »
Thank you, you know who you are.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 11:28:28 »
Good to see the forum thinking of others less fortunate in these tough times, and spreading it around a bit this year.  Keep up the good work!  :)

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 08:45:55 »
BUMP!! ;D

Well done on promoting your chosen charity!!
Who knows where I might be getting my surprise gifts from  ;)

I do feel I need to correct this statement  without wishing to create antagonism

And theres no commercial organisation like Justgiving taking a percentage of your donation. ALL of what you give goes right to the charity to support its work.

as Perennial use World Pay for their transactions whose charges are only a fraction under those of JustGiving. (same monthly fee and just a fraction under on the % transaction charge).

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 08:52:21 »
Although I voted for Perennial and may well make a donation to them, I do think this thread is unnecessary. Are we going to have a thread for every charity people want us to support? I think most people know how to donate to a charity if they want to! (Hope this doesn't start a row! ;))

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 09:04:28 »
Don't see why it should Caroline. Actually I was thinking the same. I was hoping that Thrive would win but it was a democratic vote so its Gardening Leave who get the contribution.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 10:15:52 »
Thanks for bumping this up, time for another thank you anyway to some generous folk.

Heres the link again:

http://shop.perennial.org.uk/acatalog/donation.html

Its a secure site and if youre a UK taxpayer and you Gift Aid your donation for every £1 you donate the charity gets £1.28 thanks to the taxman.

Theyve got some lovely inexpensive stocking fillers like a Gardeners Soap Set here

http://shop.perennial.org.uk/acatalog/Stocking_Filler_.html

Perennial is the national charity for those who work or have worked in horticulture and their spouses/ partners when they face adversity or need.

Our history is rooted in the 19th Century, but the charity has moved with the times as both horticulture and the needs of its people have changed. Perennial helps by providing money and services, and by ensuring people get the help they need from government departments, public and private organisations that are there to assist.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 10:28:19 »
I am very tempted, they have some good stuff on there.  Have been looking for a scarf with pockets in for ages, to replace one that got lost.  I am trying not to spend any money at the moment, but may well be tempted, love the cat wrapping paper.  We can all support our favourite charities, keep meaning to give to the donkey sanctuary, but do donate and buy from charity shops so suppose that helps a bit.  Think donating through Allotments4All with the suprise draw just makes it a bit of fun.

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 10:37:07 »
thanks Borlotti. They do have some lovely stuff dont they? When times are tight we probably cant support all the charities we would want to. Im sure Perennial would be just as happy with people buying gifts and cards, they make a small profit on them that will get  ploughed back into their charity work.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal