Author Topic: Whitefly and composting  (Read 2775 times)

Buckeye Girl

• Not So New ...
Whitefly and composting
« on: October 10, 2010, 09:52:08 »
I am nearing the end of my first season on the allotment and still trying to find my footing.  As I have been cutting down the old plants and grass for composting I have noticed that whitefly is still lurking about quite heavily.  How does this affect composting?  Can I still throw the material in the bin?   I have a large square, wooden framed area.    It has to be said that as I am cutting things down there is a quick flurry of movement, but I don't think the whitefly stay with the cut material.

Any comments most appreciated.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Whitefly and composting
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 10:03:59 »
There seems to be a lot more whitefly about than ever before.  The sprouts are covered in it.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 17:40:37 »
Good question Buckeye girl - my entire vegetable garden has been infested all summer with the blighters but I've been chucking the spent tomato, beans, squashes haulms on the compost in the hope they will be killed off over the coming winter so I hope I haven't been doing anything wrong  ::).

Another question is how to get rid of whitefly in the now almost empty greenhouse?

Tricia

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 18:00:55 »
Yes..you can compost with or without white fly...once those that are able to hatch from the leaves, have taken to the air..that's it..they are not re-producing on dying or dead leaves. If you have grass clippings to cover the host leaves..less will be able to hatch..but even then it would not make much difference for general population..
So fear not..you haven't done anything wrong.. ;D

Buckeye Girl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 21:31:10 »
Pheeeewwwww   :D

Thank you.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal