Author Topic: 'stringless' runner beans  (Read 3804 times)

mhj75

• Not So New ...
  • Bristol - it's mint
'stringless' runner beans
« on: October 09, 2010, 21:51:08 »
I feel kind of embarrassed that I don't know the answer to this, having grown them for 7 years or more but...

When catalogues refer to 'stringless' runner beans, what do they mean exactly? I assumed the 'strings' were down the sides of the beans, so that even if you had stringy beans you could peel them off by shaving off the sides of the beans with a peeler.

But I've noticed that especially towards the end of the season, and if the beans stay too long on the plant, they get tough and inedible.

So, do 'stringless' beans have no strings down the sides of the beans or does it mean that they don't get tough and inedible as they get older?

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
Re: 'stringless' runner beans
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 22:03:04 »
Thats exactly what they mean.

They are only stringless if picked very young and small...let them get any decent size and they will be stringy!

Nothing worse than a mouthful of stringy beans in your mouth!!
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 11:23:49 »
So do you just put the big old ones on the compost? Mine are getting that way now.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 11:41:30 »
Yes,put them ni the compost if you want....or leave them a while longer so you get seed for next year.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 21:20:05 »
It's been said her before, but is still little known elsewhere:- runner bean seeds are really delicious cooked while they are still moist and plump - and are pretty good when cooked from dried beans.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 23:00:31 »
Yep...just made a chilli with them other day..loovely...
Caroline...let you runners set seed..no point waisting stringy beans into compost heap ;)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 00:25:58 »
Absolutely agree, they are great when shelled and cooked as a fresh bean.. dried and saved as seed of course or if you have loads keep as a dry bean and use as such.XX Jeannine

PS There are some beans that can be described as stringless when older but I don't know a true runner that can claim that, some of the green beans(not runners) for sure remain good though.

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 00:27:57 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal