Author Topic: digging up spuds in wet weather  (Read 1590 times)

susan1

• Half Acre
digging up spuds in wet weather
« on: October 03, 2010, 00:04:37 »
My hub has told me tonight he is going to dig up all our spuds in the morning whether its raining or not can anyone tell me if this is a good or bad idea, we have always left them to dry out for a couple of days on the ground in previous years, i dont think this will be possible with the weather forcast

elvis2003

• Hectare
Re: digging up spuds in wet weather
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 00:20:45 »
it will certainly make it harder work for him,heavier soil and all that,bless him!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 00:46:17 »
Well you need to dig them some time and if you have got the space indoors, then with cardboard or newspaper as a bottom layer, spread them out and keep turning them until they are dry all over then bag them up. (It wont take that long)

Dirty but dry spuds will keep a bit better than washed and dried. The key word is dry but how long in this country do we get to dry them out doors?

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 09:47:29 »
prefare to dig up spuds in dry weather but at this time of year it is difficult to find a dry week, today it will be claggy with the soil sticking to the spuds, good luck, ;)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 11:44:52 »
Go for it! beat the slugs who will be revelling in this shall I say 'damp' weather'

All you need is to get them under cover after lifting as soon as possible and lay them out to dry, I have used the garage floor before now.

This is what I did this year and after about three days they were bagged up and in permanent storage under the bench;

Kestrel;

Fir Apple;

Bagged and under the bench;

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 11:53:16 »
Not so easy for flat dwellers or people with limited space though  :)

susan1

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 12:30:21 »
thanks, have now got several plastic garden tubs sitting in the porch, I will keep turning them everyday untill they are dry to bag up  :)

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 10:16:52 »
I acknowledge wht zigzag says about dirty ones, but if digging thin skinned ones at this time of year* I find that it helps to have a bucket of water close at hand - can give the spuds a quick rinse as you dig each plant, and discard any dodgy ones there and then.   They also dry out quicker if they are not caked with mud.

* I found last year that 1/3 were slug ravished to the extent that they were no good for storing, and thus would have been a lot of extra work to lug home from the allotment and dry out.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal