Author Topic: Another sweetcorn problem  (Read 2411 times)

bridbod

• Not So New ...
Another sweetcorn problem
« on: October 03, 2010, 15:59:00 »
This year I grew T&M's Conquerer in a 6X6 block (36 plants). Although I got quite a few excellent cobs, ie
large and well filled with scrumtious sweet kernels, quite a lot of cobs (especially the later ones) had only a few yellow kernels present and were hardly worth cooking. I was wondering if..
It is a fertilisation problem and can I do anything about it come next years crop

Any advice much appreciated

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Another sweetcorn problem
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 17:19:24 »
Possibly.  After the wet weather set in it would have made the pollen damp, resulting in poor pollenation.

valmarg

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 18:27:51 »
I always hand pollinate my corn if I'm there at the right time because I only grow small quantities.  There's some debate over whether this is viable or not, but I believe it is in the end.

Here's how
http://luxbotaniverse.blogspot.com/2009/08/hand-pollinating-corn.html?zx=f54ec556215c67d5

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 19:16:37 »
I've had worse results this year than normal. I grew Kelvedon Glory, which is a good corn, but took forever to produce results. I suspect the weather may have affected pollination.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 19:41:33 »
This year I grew T&M's Conquerer in a 6X6 block (36 plants). Although I got quite a few excellent cobs, ie
large and well filled with scrumtious sweet kernels, quite a lot of cobs (especially the later ones) had only a few yellow kernels present and were hardly worth cooking. I was wondering if..
It is a fertilisation problem and can I do anything about it come next years crop

Any advice much appreciated

sweetcorn plants are a hungry crop, and need about 18" (500 mm) spacing between each plant for good results.
You couldn't make it up!

bridbod

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 10:57:43 »
Thanks folks for your replies.
Earlypea..cheers for the link, next year I'll definately be trying the pollenating by hand method and giving nature a helping hand.
Tonybloke..I've only a small plot, but my corn was planted in an 18"x 24" spacing so hopefully had enough space to grow. Even so, moving between them when they were fully grown in order to weed or harvest still
seemed to end in a few damaged leaves. :(

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 11:53:52 »
Actually Bridbod I don't do it quite the same as the photos - just chose them because they show the stages very clearly.

If I'm around and I can see the powdery pollen on the male tassels I stroke them til my hand's got a bit of dust on it and then stroke the emerging female silks with that.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 12:35:02 »
I grew Incredible this year in a 1 foot spaced bock and they all seem to be producing two cobs each, generally a big one and a smaller one and I've noticed few pollination problems.... crops a bit late but I was lad late getting them out. I've got a Franchi to grow next year so  a very much bigger block will be needed cos there's a lot of seeds there....

chrisc

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 13:31:52 »
When???? I win £80 million on the euro lottery I am going to invest in a system of hydraulic ramps to lift and rotate parts of the garden. This will ensure my sweetcorn gets turned so as to take advantage of the prevailing winds and sunshine.

As things are now those on the Eastern side of the block are always later and never as good

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 13:57:24 »
I had a brilliant year as well.  I sow mine 1ft apart slightly more between rows.  They had loads of manure.  Did not do much weeding between.  I covered them in plastic bottles until the first blade comes out the top.

Grew five batches no 2 failed but rest great.  Currently enjoying a great crop of Earlibird which tassled in the August rain but seems to have cropping well.

I can particularly recommend Earlybird from Moles.  250 in the packet.  98% germination.  Great crop.  Sundance tasted better.  Mirai Bicolour very sweet and lovely texture but not much taste huge cobs.  Incredible from Wilco total failure.

Funny what you say Cleo but I think mine are better on the east away from the west wind. 

bridbod

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 20:05:08 »
Cheers Digeroo, You've swayed me into trying Earlybird next year instead of Swift or Lark !! :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal