Author Topic: Recipe for Elderberry and rosehip wine  (Read 5465 times)

suzeaustin

Recipe for Elderberry and rosehip wine
« on: October 01, 2010, 17:10:34 »
Does anyone have a recipe for rosehip and elderberry wine? Have some elderberries left over from elderberry and have some rosehips. Is it worth it or is it a horrible idea?
Also whilst on the subject of wine, somebody has suggested that I make beetroot wine with my excess but worried it will taste beetrooty. Anybody tried it?
Cheers,
Sue.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Re: Recipe for Elderberry and rosehip wine
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 04:04:17 »
If it were me, I wouldn't mix the rose hips with elderberries after making plain elderberry wine which was very strong tasting to my way of thinking. 

I'd guess the flavor would over-power the rose hips.  However- I've never tasted rose hip wine so maybe I'm completely off base ;D
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

suzeaustin

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 10:12:18 »
So I should probably just find some more elderberries or maybe mix them ith rasins then?

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 13:10:31 »
So I should probably just find some more elderberries or maybe mix them ith rasins then?
Do you like the taste of elderberry wine? I made a gallon of it never having tasted it before and found it too strong for my taste buds. Ended up diluting it with ever increasing amounts of concord wine which made a more complex taste. I read that vintners would do that with their regular wines. My recommendation would be to establish first if you like elderberry wine and if you do then the added raisins might be a great idea to stretch the elderberries.
The other thing is you could freeze the elderberries until you find more, then get a gal. cooking.  Have fun whichever :)

suzeaustin

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 15:35:09 »
I have no idea if I like elderberry wine! But the trouble is, if I love it, and it takes a year before I can drink it, then it'll be another year before I can make any more... But I take your point, maybe I should just freeze them!

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 20:07:58 »
I have no idea if I like elderberry wine! But the trouble is, if I love it, and it takes a year before I can drink it, then it'll be another year before I can make any more... But I take your point, maybe I should just freeze them!
Maybe you could find somebody who has a bottle. I tried to find some at our local wine shop and was almost laughed out of the store.
He gave me some long winded lecture about anything not made of grapes isn't wine blah blah blah true wine snob.
I had half a mind to take him some of my crabapple wine so he could see what he's been missing
but didn't feel like throwing pearls before swine. he is probably still happy in his ignorance and didn't make a penny from me that day or into eternity ;D.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal