Author Topic: Winter Squash taste tests  (Read 20507 times)

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: Winter Squash taste tests
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2010, 16:15:13 »
Can anyone advise if 'Turks Turban' improves with keeping?
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2010, 18:50:54 »
I think that the banana squashes tend to only develop their characteristic skin colour in very mature specimens, and especially after long storage.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2010, 20:57:35 »
Can anyone advise if 'Turks Turban' improves with keeping?

I grew Turks Turban once as ornamentals, and ate them experimentally when they were over a year old.  They were incredibly sweet with a melting almost toffee-like taste when roasted, and good in soup.

I think they must be quite variable though as I have also many times heard/read them described as bland/fibrous and inedible.

So if, as your post suggests, they aren't nice yet, you haven't anything to lose by keeping them longer and seeing if time helps, I think squash always are better for maturing - winter ones, that is.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2010, 16:17:44 »
Thanks Morris,
We did eat one in August to try it as I had read that they were nothing special.
Found it 'nothing special'.
I have two large ones which I'll keep & see if they improve!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2010, 00:07:37 »
Mine is a different view because I don't really enjoy any kind of squash/pumpkin cooked - but Turks' Turban does well for me and is good raw - usually grated into homemade coleslaw.

I tend to eat them either in the gap between the summer and winter cabbage or when the carrots run out - in my case that means before the end of Nov.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 00:12:39 by Vinlander »
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Morris

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2010, 11:58:25 »
That's interesting, Vinlander, I've never thought of trying winter squash raw; whereas I often have eaten uncooked summer squash in salads etc.

Vinlander

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2010, 22:41:36 »
At the risk of sounding like a cracked record - you should try combining chopped raw chard stems (finely sliced across the grain) with grated pumpkin and mayo - a very enjoyable way to use significant quantities of what I would otherwise consider to be fairly unappetising ingredients.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2010, 00:18:28 »
My Black Futsu have now turned a reddish brown with black spots so I decided to try one today. I was amazed at the strong melon flavour when grated raw. It also made a wonderful soup and some very sweet chips. I'm going to try the next one in a cake recipe and roast some too.

Tricia

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2010, 09:19:52 »
and some very sweet chips. Tricia

Interetsing to hear how you are getting on with the Black Futsu Tricia, as mine came to nowt! And I'm loving the idea of chip sized roasties, made me think of trying some tempura style ....

Early Pea - I can only echo Galine - a VERY SLIPPERY SLOPE  ::)  ;)  :D

Have now tried the Rouge Vif D'Etamps, lovely lovely lovely   :)

Morris

• Acre
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2010, 09:52:49 »
Thanks, Vinlander I'll give that a go.  But it will have to be next year as this summer was winter squash's turn for a 'rest' which is part of my rotation attempts in a smaller garden plot.

Chard stems I often use to bulk up soups or soften in butter like onions to add to lots of dishes, but it's good to have another, interesting, use for them.

BTW, these squash threads have been very ill-timed for me, having joined A4A with its squash obsessives in the year I had decided to only grow a couple of plants!  Jealousy and teeth-grinding have reined!

My husband frequently reminds me I haven't time for an allotment as well as the garden but if I did I would grow masses of squash and maincrop potatoes.  Sigh ...

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2010, 13:00:52 »
I bought a turks turban squash at the store once- it was a beauty and I'd thought I'd save the seeds to grow next season but it tasted bland and was stringy- another idea out the window though they'd make a pretty addition to a Fall decoration.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Vinlander

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2010, 22:51:20 »
I bought a turks turban squash at the store once- it was a beauty and I'd thought I'd save the seeds to grow next season but it tasted bland and was stringy- another idea out the window though they'd make a pretty addition to a Fall decoration.

The seeds are the most reliable part of Turks' Turban - they are a good size and delicious.

As to the flesh - that's commercial growers for you...

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2010, 01:21:33 »

The seeds are the most reliable part of Turks' Turban - they are a good size and delicious.

I guess the best part went in the garbage then!

Vinlander

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2010, 22:34:04 »

I guess the best part went in the garbage then!

Not even in the compost? for shame - though if you were worrying about encouraging rats with such tasty seeds - then you know the solution now - get to them first!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 22:37:29 by Vinlander »

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2010, 23:25:41 »
I learned my lesson a couple of years ago when I put all my squash waste in the compost. When the compost was later spread over my raised beds I had squash plants springing up everywhere. Never again. Tomato seeds don't compost either!

Tricia

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2010, 02:25:36 »
I learned my lesson a couple of years ago when I put all my squash waste in the compost. When the compost was later spread over my raised beds I had squash plants springing up everywhere. Never again. Tomato seeds don't compost either!

Tricia
Now when I microwave a winter squash the seeds are left in and I'm hoping they won't be viable in the compost after that cooking.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2010, 20:50:56 »
I've eaten a galeux d'eysines squash. It was my first year growing them. It was nice, very light, perfumed, almost melon-like flavour. Even when grilled with olive oil on, when other squashes get rich and dense and meaty-tasting somehow.

I'll definitely grow some again next year.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2010, 21:58:31 »
Both make a good indicator of soil temperature though for putting out tender plants like beans and corn...  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2010, 02:42:00 »
Both make a good indicator of soil temperature though for putting out tender plants like beans and corn...  :)
good point saddad

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2010, 19:10:21 »
Good to look on the positive side!

I find I have a lot of small weed seedlings around to let me know when spring is on its way. I suppose I am truly blessed in that way  ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal