Author Topic: Better than swimming with dolphins!  (Read 63280 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Better than swimming with dolphins!
« on: September 27, 2010, 13:39:04 »
Not that I ever have swum with dolphins or anything else for that matter but...............I stroked Triangle, the feral kitten this morning!  He is getting so confident now, coming inside the kitchen while I prepare his food and not running to hide when he sees me.  I put the food down in the usual place and as he was eating I gently stroked the top of his head.  He carried on eating as if nothing was happening.   :)

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: Better than swimming with dolphins!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 13:55:20 »
Theres nowt like it when you gain the trust of a wild or ferrel animal. I can understand how thrilled you were ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 13:58:55 »
I know what you mean, but if I went to Dolphin World and the bloke said - we got rid of the dolphins, it's much better to stroke this mangy cat, I *might* want a refund  :D

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 14:13:21 »
I know what you mean, but if I went to Dolphin World and the bloke said - we got rid of the dolphins, it's much better to stroke this mangy cat, I *might* want a refund  :D

;D ;D ;D
Trust you!!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 14:32:48 »
Squash I've really been enjoying reading about your lovely cats.
I can appreciate how you felt as I used to work where there were feral cats and I always patiently waited for the more friendly ones to get used to me and very occasionally ended up stroking one.  As Shirl says there's nothing like gaining the trust of a wild animal.   
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 16:45:02 »
A few weeks ago Triangle would have run and hidden under the pavilion if he saw anyone coming near.  Today he sat on the bench outside and posed for the photo.

[attachment=1]
[attachment=2]
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

asj

• Half Acre
  • Esher, Surrey
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 17:12:39 »
Triangle's great, Betty - keep up the good work!
War on slugs and snails!!

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 22:55:56 »
why do you call him triangle?

he's lovely, you'd not think he was wild, looking at him in that pic.

Sadly, we lost our cat 2 weeks ago, he was 17,  he had a tumor on his back leg and it burst. He bled on and off for 3/4 days, the vet had no choice but to operate. Sadly he suffered a stroke the day after his op. 2 days after that I had to take him to be PTS. Poor thing was just lifeless, he still meowed when I spoke to him but his body was limp and he couldn't move or eat. He seemed to be healthy before the op, appart from his bleeding leg, which I am sure he wasn't really aware of it. Bless him x

Good luck with triangle tho x x

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 00:03:14 »
Brilliant Betty, I would have felt so chuffed too.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 04:49:26 »
why do you call him triangle?

he's lovely, you'd not think he was wild, looking at him in that pic.

Sadly, we lost our cat 2 weeks ago, he was 17,  he had a tumor on his back leg and it burst. He bled on and off for 3/4 days, the vet had no choice but to operate. Sadly he suffered a stroke the day after his op. 2 days after that I had to take him to be PTS. Poor thing was just lifeless, he still meowed when I spoke to him but his body was limp and he couldn't move or eat. He seemed to be healthy before the op, appart from his bleeding leg, which I am sure he wasn't really aware of it. Bless him x

Good luck with triangle tho x x

So sorry to hear about your cat.  I have two dogs, aged 11 and 13 and I know that sooner or later we will have to face losing them.  I suppose we should try to remember the happy times we shared but it won't make it any easier.

Back to Triangle....because there are quite a few feral cats at the allotments I have given them names which also describe something about them.  Triangle has a triangle of white on his face. 
I feed 4 cats on my plot every day, they are Fluffy Tabby Tail (tabby and white with a lovely fluffy tabby tail),  One (the first cat which ever came for food) E.T. (a bit strange-looking) and Calico (someone told me that cats of her colouring - black and tortie - are known as calico in the U.S.)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 04:56:17 »
Squash I've really been enjoying reading about your lovely cats.
I can appreciate how you felt as I used to work where there were feral cats and I always patiently waited for the more friendly ones to get used to me and very occasionally ended up stroking one.  As Shirl says there's nothing like gaining the trust of a wild animal.   

Thank you Flighty, I do tend to go on a bit about them  ::)

I used to feel a bit sorry for our ferals but I've started to think that they have quite a good life really. 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 19:40:13 »
My only thought on the 4 wild cat situation is that next year you could have so many more, if they are not neutered. Then it might be the start of a problem.
I think you are doing something really special looking out for them but wondering if you could get some advice from your local cats protection league on neutering.
I know when I was at the vet with our cat our local one had a poster up and was doing a special deal, offering neutering for free.
Hope you don't mind me saying.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 20:55:12 »
My only thought on the 4 wild cat situation is that next year you could have so many more, if they are not neutered. Then it might be the start of a problem.
I think you are doing something really special looking out for them but wondering if you could get some advice from your local cats protection league on neutering.
I know when I was at the vet with our cat our local one had a poster up and was doing a special deal, offering neutering for free.
Hope you don't mind me saying.

No, I really don't mind you saying  :)  I am not at all clued up about cats, I did have them when I was young but none since I've been married.  I need all the advice I can get.

We are working with the Cats Protection to get the cats neutered.  They have given me a trap so that I can take them to the vet (who also happens to be the vet I use for my dogs) We won't have to pay to have them neutered but we do support the CP by helping with fund-raising. 

I put cat food inside the un-set trap every day so they go in it quite readily now.  I can't set it until I am certain I have transport if I catch one. 

Last year we caught a ginger tom, had him neutered and then brought him back to the allotments.  He was never seen again!  We have also caught two kittens in the past which were young enough to be re-homed by the CP.

I never thought I would get so fond of these cats.......

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 23:01:14 »
Ah, cool. I am glad you are doing all this for them. I am an animal person and do some fundraising for dog rescue.

At the begining of the year, I had a tenant who left my property and left his cat behind. I had to get the cat people in to help me, she was a very cute, very affectionate, little black one. She did have rather a snotty nose mind! I could not take her home as I already had a cat (my old boy) and 2 staffys. Which wasn't harmonious at times! I had to let her go and try to be re-homed. I never heard anymore about her.

Keep up your good work with Triangle and the others x

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 03:29:19 »
Triangle update - he/she is going to be neutered on Friday.  Our Cats Protection man is coming to see if he can catch her and he will take her to the vet and bring her back again the next day.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 07:00:04 »
good luck for friday!

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 07:03:49 »
good luck for friday!

Thanks 10, I feel strangely nervous about it.   The CP chap is coming early to be there when I feed the cats as Triangle is always waiting for food.  Of course, she won't be able to have any that morning because of the op. I just hope he can catch her without frightening her too much because she has never been picked up before.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 07:09:13 »
Aw, I'm sure the CP guy will be experienced, and maybe have a few tricks up his sleeve to tempt Triangle into a cage..... well I do hope so! It will be so much better for Triangle to be neutered

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 07:48:44 »
Don't worry Betty.Triangle will be ok.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2010, 21:31:51 »
How did it go? Or should I say has "it" gone yet  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal