Author Topic: Rotorvater or Spade?  (Read 4373 times)

tabstyas

Rotorvater or Spade?
« on: September 25, 2010, 08:59:23 »
Hi. I have just aquired an allotment which is in a perfect spot with good soil. The previous owner as kept it weed free for years. He as kindly left a rotorvater which he says digs further down than a spade can.  I am new to gardening and would like to ask you pro`s if it is best to witer dig by spade or rotorvater?

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
Re: Rotorvater or Spade?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 09:35:52 »
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 10:48:36 »
I prefer a fork myself...  :-X

Denzle

• Not So New ...
  • Now Thats What I Call A Nice Pair
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 18:36:19 »
I dig mine over with a fork first, then after the compost has sat on it for the winter I go over the plot with the rotorvator in the spring before planting.
Denzle.

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 00:51:00 »
Rotovators are just weed choppers.

Dig first to remove weeds perennial like docks, nettles and buttercups. Then use a tiller to break down the clods.

There is no easy way out of it, it is all down to hard work.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 09:54:02 »
I think there is a place for both options rough dig in winter and rotovate before the coming season, obviously if you have a lotty full of weeds with all the usual stuff what we dread having  then you will have a problem spreading the weeds about with rotovating, I'm just about on top of my problem I have had with bindweed, :)

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 11:31:48 »
As others have said both have their place.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 11:49:48 »
I say spade! It is the best way to get to know your soil both for depth and quality.

Even after twenty years or more I still have a couple of thin patches of topsoil despite loads of manure being put in each year.

Knowing this I know not to put my carrots & parsnips in these areas.

As Arthur Billett used to say;  The secret is in your soil  so get to know it.

By the way it is therapeutic as well.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 12:10:10 »
Well I shan't be using either for a while as I tweaked my back for the first time in ages yesterday, so am banned from any heavy lottie work for a while... :'( What pants timing! :( >:( I have a load of manure to sort! Will have to bribe teenage son to help methinks...

Anyway, do not be fooled into thinking using a rotovator is less work that using a spade or fork to dig over your plot.....I have a Mantis tiller, and it still pretty much wears me out to use it for any length of time, and that is one of the lightest types, you need really strong arm and back muscles!

I generally prefer a fork as well, easier to dig out long rooted weeds and I find it compacts the soil less, but I'm on heavy clay. If you have been lucky enough to inherit a weed free plot, I would get to know it by digging it over yourself, but not in this rain though..... ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 12:16:02 »
Rotovators are just weed choppers.

Dig first to remove weeds perennial like docks, nettles and buttercups. Then use a tiller to break down the clods.

There is no easy way out of it, it is all down to hard work.

Not if used correctly they aren't!
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 00:35:53 »
What sort of Rotavator.... there's a world of difference between a lightweight cultivator like a Mantis and a serious monster like a Howard Gem, equally there's a world of difference between the wrestling match that is using something like a Merry Tiller and a  driven-wheel rear-tine machine like a Camon C8 (or the aforementioned Gem).... Even amongst proper looking rotavators (ie, orange ones with driven wheels and rear tines) there's a wide range from lightweigh (like my 200 or say a Bullfinch) to portable earthquake (Gems, Yeomen, 400's, 700's etc)

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 09:23:49 »
I'd say spade, it allows you to tease out those telltale roots no matter how careful the last person was. It also allows you to do the plot in manageable segments.

Becuase what are you going to do with a whole plot of turned soil?  :-\then you have to think about coveing it from weed seeds and acting to stop the leaching out of the nutients over winter- adding manure on the top of the whole plot then big sheets of weed proof?

if you do it a patch at a time it gives you chance to get a jump on the weeds, then manure or plant which gives you stable patches. Theres not much for planting yet unless you have a house full of brassicas and onions ready to plant out. I find the digging boring so its great that its puncuated by some sowing and planting becuase thats the lovely bit :)

So spade becuase patch wise is the easiest way to do a new plot.
good luck its an exciting time nd the best time of year to get a new patch
x sunloving

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 21:37:46 »
Welcome to A4A tabstyas - and congratulations on the plot! And what a bonus a nice plot and some equipment! Loads of advice already given, so I'll just say I hope you enjoy your new plot  :)

Amazingrotavator(Derby)

• Half Acre
  • My best mate
    • www.mandjderbygardens.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 15:28:05 »
I say rotavator,can't beat it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal