Author Topic: If you grow marrows does it stop courgettes from growing?  (Read 1899 times)

DaisyDot

• Not So New ...
If you grow marrows does it stop courgettes from growing?
« on: September 19, 2010, 20:09:40 »
Our courgette plants were doing really well until we allowed a couple of marrows to develop. Dos this happen or was it a coincidence?

Lottiman

• Hectare
Re: If you grow marrows does it stop courgettes from growing?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 20:22:01 »
Hi daisydot. I have found myself that if you let them mature into marrows this does then slow down the plant.

DaisyDot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 20:38:58 »
Thank you Lottiman.  Next year then we'll let them go longer before encouraging marrows. When do you let your's turn to marrows?

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 21:04:40 »
Hi Daisydot
To be honest I don't let my courgettes grow on, we tend to preferr them on the small side as we enjoy things like courgette cake, courgette fritters etc and we find marrows to big for this sort of thing.
Lottiman

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 13:40:36 »
Yes is the short answer.

The plant's job is to produce fruit, then the fruit seeds so that the species will continue.

Picking courgettes and runner beans makes the plant grow more. Similarly with sweet peas, keep cutting the flowers off and they keep flowering.

Not all plants (or varieties) are the same, some will just produce one crop but others will continue to reproduce until they are exhausted.

It depends what you want from your plant how you crop it but at this time of the year the damp and cold will take it's toll.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal