Author Topic: Apple Trees  (Read 6856 times)

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
Apple Trees
« on: September 21, 2010, 18:46:24 »
Where should I buy my apple trees online? Any unusual apples you can suggest for the damp Glasgow climate?

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Apple Trees
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 19:03:18 »
I would not use word 'should'..and before anybody say that I'm promoting some companies, I shall highlight that I only mention these are I have ordered from them before and found their service good...
Right then...
www.deaconsnurseryfruits.co.uk
Code: [Select]
http://www.rvroger.co.uk/index.php?linksource=listgroup&listgroupfile=treesand one that I've been looking from but not ordered...yet.. ;D
http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/default.aspx

..some to start with..once I warm my typing finger I may come up with some others..if needed.. ;)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 19:05:08 »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 19:06:45 »

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 20:40:47 »
Egremont Russet should do well.......  :-\

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 21:57:18 »
three brilliant sites. Thanks folks.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 08:06:21 »
Let us know what you come up with...

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 09:21:12 »
We got ours from Ashridge nurseries and have seen the brilliant result in just 2 years. They also send us an email every month to advise us about caring for fruit.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 13:52:24 »
If I were you, I should look for a good local nursery. I'm not thinking in terms of cold, but damp. I used to live in Cornwall, where the damp climate can be difficult for fruit, so local knowledge might be useful.

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 01:33:23 »
unfortunately Butterworths in Ayrshire is no longer selling apple trees so its got to be somewhere else. I'll get 3 good ones.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 19:28:30 »
Apples Reputed to be Resistant to Canker for the North of the UK. include Discovery, Falstaff,

Yes, I appreciate this is a very short list, but until I see reliable evidence, I am reluctant to make further recommendations. (Feel free to advise me of any other varieties that you know from personal knowledge, do well and resist Canker in the North West of U.K.)

Crab Apples. Many of the crab apples seem to have resistance to Canker, except for John Downie.

Avoid these Apples in the North West of U.K. as reputed to be prone to Canker Elstar, Fiesta (horrific, I know from personal experience), Gala, James Grieve (bad), Cox, Laxtons Fortune (bad), Golden Noble, Jonagold, Spartan, Worcester Pearmain, Ribston Pippin, Lanes Prince Albert, Sunset, Suntan,

Crab apple John Downie (bad).

Traditional varieties of apples, recommended by an Apple expert for planting in Scotland, include:-

Eating Apples. Charles Ross, Discovery, Ellison’s Orange, James Grieve (except West), Worcester Pearmain.

Cooking Apples. Bramley’s Seedling, Emneth Early, Grenadier (not North East), Lord Derby, Howgate Wonder (not North East or North West).
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

cjb02

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 22:26:46 »
this place might be worth a look.

http://www.agroforestry.co.uk/plantorders.html

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 19:06:41 »
That site would be a serious drain on the finances if only all the interesting plants weren't out of stock  >:(

And I'd need another allotment..... ;D
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 22:49:57 »
I'm thinking...

Mere de Menage - Maiden (M106)
Court Pendu Plat - Bush (M106)
Peasgood Nonsuch - Bush (M106)

as far as I have read these are all quite hardy. Then you get trees that are called hardy but are susceptible to late frosts! It's confusing.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 07:36:33 »
I think that the susceptible to late frost refers to the flowers.  We have one tree which flowers early and sometimes the frost nips the heart out of the flowers.  The tree survives ok but the fruit either falls off or becomes misshaped. 

When I was young I can remember the smudge pots in the orchards in parts of Kent except they tended to be bales of straw being burned.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2010, 07:40:38 »
That site would be a serious drain on the finances if only all the interesting plants weren't out of stock  >:(

We've  all been there!  :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2010, 11:01:28 »
Sawfish..where ever you are going to order them from...I would still recommend you to give them a call and chat about your options and their recommendations as nurseries are only putting down main pointers for each variety..and often they are able to 'pin point' something that would be just right for you and your location....nothing beats good chat.. ;D..and if they really want your money they'll 'work' for it ;)
Interesting selection you've picked...2 cookers and eater..all good keepers..and strong enough rootstock to give you some sturdy trees.. ;D
Code: [Select]
Then you get trees that are called hardy but are susceptible to late frosts!..ohh...that means that the trees itselves are hardy and can cope with low temperatures..but the flowers may not and/or are flowering at the time when frosts are common...

cjb02

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2010, 21:09:05 »

yes I know lots are out of stock but I have enjoyed reading the different things they do supply. next year I might buy something different just to try, if I can manage to find it in stocl

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 00:33:06 »
thanks Goodlife. Strangely enough I emailed them yesterday.
If an apple was susceptible to frost would it help if you were to cover it in fleece, even a double layer? Just leave it on till May?

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2010, 22:19:02 »
My final choices from R. V. Roger were:

Apple Bloody Ploughman. Bush (M106)
Apple Court Pendu Plat. Bush (M106)
Apple Mere de Menage. Maiden (M106)
Apple Tydeman's Late Orange. Bush (M106)

Pear Durondeau. Bush (Quince A)

what do you think? I already have a Discovery apple and an Invincible (Delwinor) pear.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 22:34:59 by sawfish »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal