Author Topic: Yard Long Beans  (Read 3126 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
Yard Long Beans
« on: September 20, 2010, 21:01:17 »
Anyone grow them? We reckon that as long as you do not let them get too long and so go tough, that these are better tasting than either French Beans or Runners(yuck!). However, they are too tender to grow outside with us.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Re: Yard Long Beans
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 21:07:13 »
I have tried to grow these several times and as soon as I put them in the ground they peg out.  :( Maybe I'd do better in the greenhouse too, even though we are south east.
Smile, it confuses people.

muddylou

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 22:16:51 »
I grew them outside this year despite all negative posts. I should have listened to them, the seeds came from Thailand, they grew head height but never even flowered. Needless to say I never had any beans.
     I've read that there are a variety (from America I believe) that have been developed to grow in colder climates. Will try these next year.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 22:31:45 »
I've had a problem with these yard long beans here too. They just don't thrive for me. I know a chap in Colchester who does very well with them though. Did try Hunter beans this year, they were very good indeed.

:(

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 23:50:19 »
I have tried to grow these several times and as soon as I put them in the ground they peg out. 

Me too.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 00:29:11 »
I tried to grow Yard Long Beans last year but they were a failure. 

I also tried Hunter beans this year for the first time and they were brilliant.  They were earlier than the runners even though they were planted the same time.  This extended the cropping period for my beans as I was picking the Hunters two weeks before the Runners started flowering. 

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 07:33:26 »
I've read that there are a variety (from America I believe) that have been developed to grow in colder climates. Will try these next year.

If you find out the name can you let us know. I'd love to try them, and might be able to beg / borrow some greenhosue space next year

Thanks

1066  :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 08:22:33 »
Yes..no success with yard long here neither..had few to eat in past..but that is how far I've got.. ::)
But I'm not beaten..I'm going to try again and again until I 'crack the code' with them..next year..I'll try again..and some indoors.. ::)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 08:57:30 »
Are 'Hunter' french or runner type beans? I grow both but looking for a new variety for next year. I like the look of the Yard long beans though, so I may well give them a final go. ;D

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 09:53:45 »
I have tried to grow these several times and as soon as I put them in the ground they peg out. 

Me too.

Me three!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 10:17:15 »
Are 'Hunter' french or runner type beans?

They are classified as a French bean, yet they look more like runners.  For those that haven't grown them, Hunter are the flat beans that are now found in supermarkets.  There is a picture of them here:
http://www.unwins.co.uk/french-bean-hunter-seeds-climbing-pid1132.html

According to the site below, Yard Long Beans require a conservatory or poly-tunnel in cooler climes. 
http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/pages/altsal.htm

Has anyone managed to grow the Yard Long in Britain and if so do they taste any different to Blue Lake climbing French beans? 

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 10:32:11 »
Thanks for the info Pauline. Looks good to me. :)

muddylou

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 12:35:24 »

If you find out the name can you let us know. I'd love to try them, and might be able to beg / borrow some greenhosue space next year

Thanks

1066  :)
[/quote]

I'll have a Google after work and see if I can find it again, then let you know.

muddylou

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 12:56:57 »
I think it must have been these I noticed, trouble is they only deliver to the US and Canada.  :-[

http://www.botanicalinterests.com/store/search_results_detail.php?seedtype=V&seedid=356

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 13:32:02 »

Me too.

Me three!

Me four!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 14:28:37 »
I grew some up sweetcorn last year so they were very sheltered and managed to get them to the flowering stage but no beans. 

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 15:37:11 »
Interesting. We manage to get a decent crop (well enough for the 2 of us) in the Polytunnel.
Gardening is the great leveller.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 15:41:58 »
No luck with them here either-indoors. But it can be done as I have seen them growing in a greenhouse a few miles North of here.

http://www.eastonwalledgardens.co.uk/

The gardener was not around so I couldn`t get any `tips` but judging by what else was growing in there it was nothing special so I guess it`s just a matter of luck and starting them early enough

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 16:22:02 »
I have grown Enorma this year with great success.They are described as a traditional exhibition variety with very long straight pods.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 17:49:50 »
No joy here with the YL beans either, they germinated direct, grew a bit and stopped.        :'( :'( :'(
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal