Author Topic: Jeannine!..... what have I grown?  (Read 6121 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Jeannine!..... what have I grown?
« on: September 20, 2010, 01:34:45 »

Both claimed to be TOndo di Padana, obviously the mum must have been a bit of a trollop....the second one might have a Galeux d'Eysines father, although shape is all wrong, the colour and the warts are right.... the first one, the only thing that seems to be coming up in my brains the word Zapalitto and I don't know if that's how it's spelt......

chrisc

Allotment-junkie

• Quarter Acre
Re: Jeannine!..... what have I grown?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 09:22:44 »
not 100% sure but it looks like a Gourd to me
 >:(

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 11:02:38 »
Chrissc

I doubt that Daddy was Galeuse d'Eysines in the second picture, because GdE is a cucurbita maxima.  Both of yours look like cucurbita pepo and they don't 'mix' with c maxima.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 11:43:24 »
I had a look into my squash book and there is couple that look very similar to the warty one in pic...both are Pepo croup-vegeble marrow croup...Long Green Trailing and Long White Trailing.
Both are vigorous growers, long white does have larger about 6 pound 'fruit' and turn bright orange in storage. Long Green does smaller fruit but of them and should be harvested regularly.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 11:53:08 by goodlife »

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 13:47:05 »
Chrissc

I doubt that Daddy was Galeuse d'Eysines in the second picture, because GdE is a cucurbita maxima.  Both of yours look like cucurbita pepo and they don't 'mix' with c maxima.

Good point, but I thought Tondo di Padana was a maxima.... oh well..... dunno what to do with them, I guess taste the smaller one of each that I've got and if it's edible I'll try adn find a home for the bigger one.... Probably donating my bigger squashes to the local Sikh temple (assuming they run a charity kitchen, but most if not all of them seem to)

chrisc

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 14:59:35 »
I think your new name should be Frankinstein - as in what the heck has been created there!!!

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 15:11:02 »

.... Probably donating my bigger squashes to the local Sikh temple (assuming they run a charity kitchen, but most if not all of them seem to)

chrisc

This is what we do with all the pumpkins from our giant pumpkin competition every year.  We are lucky in Birmingham that we have many Sikh temples quite nearby.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 08:59:54 »
Chriscross - I had a look at Amy Goldman's book, and she has several that are listed as  "Bi-color", from the pepo family. And they have similar looks to yours. Might be worth doing a google images search  :-\

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 11:47:52 »

Good point, but I thought Tondo di Padana was a maxima.... oh well..... dunno what to do with them,
[/quote]
I haven't grown Tonda di Padana myself, but the picture of the stem on the Franchi Seed website shows a typical cucurbita pepo stem and not a smooth, round, corky looking cucurbita maxima stem.  C Pepo have a ridged, hard stems.  Are the leaves prickly or smooth?  Prickly leaves are also an indicator for cucurbita pepo.  Have you had a chance to look at the seeds?  Pepo seeds are much flatter than maxima seeds and white or cream (green for the naked seed varieties).  Maxima seeds are fat and white or light brown and they have a cellophane paper covering, (although this is often removed in commercial seed packets).

I get funny squash crosses from the compost bin.  I dug out the top foot of the greenhouse border this year and replaced it with the contents of the compost pile and got several rogue and crossed squash plants which I tranplanted and left to get on with it in an odd corner of the garden.  
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 12:41:15 by galina »

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 13:00:43 »

Good point, but I thought Tondo di Padana was a maxima.... oh well..... dunno what to do with them,
I haven't grown Tonda di Padana myself, but the picture of the stem on the Franchi Seed website shows a typical cucurbita pepo stem and not a smooth, round, corky looking cucurbita maxima stem.  C Pepo have a ridged, hard stems.  Are the leaves prickly or smooth?  Prickly leaves are also an indicator for cucurbita pepo.  Have you had a chance to look at the seeds?  Pepo seeds are much flatter than maxima seeds and white or cream (green for the naked seed varieties).  Maxima seeds are fat and white or light brown and they have a cellophane paper covering, (although this is often removed in commercial seed packets).

I get funny squash crosses from the compost bin.  I dug out the top foot of the greenhouse border this year and replaced it with the contents of the compost pile and got several rogue and crossed squash plants which I tranplanted and left to get on with it in an odd corner of the garden.  
[/quote]

I need to dig out my Squash book.... They're a pepo by the looks of things, the stem is a bit of a giveaway, it's definitely not a maxima, can't remember the seed though....

I guess taste the little one if it's OK then I'll donate the big ones to the temple...

chrisc

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 17:29:48 »
Code: [Select]
I had a look into my squash book and there is couple that look very similar to the warty one in pic...both are Pepo croup-vegeble marrow croup...Long Green Trailing and Long White Trailing
..how's that then..some from my book... ;)[attachment=1]

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 17:36:06 »
Well I think that points the spuincter of suspicion quite firmly then.... Long White Trailing it is.... any idea on the bicolour?

chrisc

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 18:03:43 »
I've gone through 3 books of picks and haven't quite got a match..yet..but there is this wondeful site that 1066 posted on other thread..some 'homework for you.. ;)
 http://www.kcb-samen.ch/shop/

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 18:40:44 »
What ever it is, I am sure you are not desperate enough for food to eat it otherwise you would not be asking.

Squashes are poor people food, intended to fill up slaves and dirt farmers who NEEDED to be fed so that they could continue to be fed and would work for the master.

They grow quick and are excellent as a teaching tool for children and new gardeners but they have little taste and take up a lot of room which experienced growers would rather devote to other things.

Other than butternut squash which I like roasted with garlic butter and olive oil. I wont waste time and space with them.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 18:55:45 »
Squashes are poor people food... ::) ::) :-X

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 19:19:12 »
Well, there are squashes and squashes!! Most of the Winter squashes that I grow are just as sweet as butternuts, and can have more taste. It just depends on the variety that you grow.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 20:45:30 »
Have you grown Crown Prince or Etampes?  :-X

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 20:48:53 »
they have little taste and take up a lot of room which experienced growers would rather devote to other things.

??? ???

Are you teasing us, purpleheather? This forum is full of squash maniacs! I think they're fantastic. Slices of squash grilled with salt and rosemary mmmmmm (is there a drooling emoticon?)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 01:30:28 »
Chriscross - I had a look at Amy Goldman's book, and she has several that are listed as  "Bi-color", from the pepo family. And they have similar looks to yours. Might be worth doing a google images search  :-\

I dug out my Goldman this evening too... Bicolour Pear, listed as an ornamental.... not good news.....

chrisc

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 01:34:24 »
Squashes are poor people food... ::) ::) :-X

Obviously never had a Potimarron, or an Uchi Kuri or a few dozen other varieties.... there's a lot more to squash than butternuts and kiddies pumpkins......

chrisc

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal