Author Topic: Alternatives to farmyard manure  (Read 19088 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: Alternatives to farmyard manure
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 08:22:04 »
I'd 2nd the leaf mould!! Really has helped with the texture of the soil.
Also being on clay I've been adding what I can get my mits on but would definietly recommend trenching veg waste as well.

Basically my motto had been chuck anything and everything at it  ::)  ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 08:25:19 »
 ;D ;D..that's about it..more the merrier..with bits and pieces in all stages of 'decay'.. ;D
although..I would put crass clippings in with something rougher..not on it's own..or use them as mulch on surface..
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 08:27:00 by goodlife »

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 08:29:03 »
;D ;D..that's about it..more the merrier..with bits and pieces in all stages of 'decay'.. ;D
although..I would put crass clippings in with something rougher..not on it's own..or use them as mulch on surface..

Yeah my clippings are definitely crass  ;)  :D  :D  :D

And yes I'll fess up to being a mulcher  ;D - makes a huge difference

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 08:33:39 »
..whoopsie.. ;D

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2010, 20:00:11 »
i just acquired half a tonne of Superphosphate and a quarter of a tonne of sodium nitrate............
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2010, 11:57:55 »
We have been told not to get deliveries of manure this year because of amino..amyn..oh whatever it is, so I have got a bale of straw for £2 and am making paths with it. Once it has been trampled a bit and rotted I will put it on the soil and use it for mulches etc. Compost from the bin will go on as well and I hope that will be ok.

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2010, 13:45:58 »
So how do you know that the straw is Aminopropylid free?

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2010, 14:07:19 »
 :o Eeek! Hadn't thought of that! An expert will be along shortly...I hope!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2010, 17:38:56 »
:o Eeek! Hadn't thought of that! An expert will be along shortly...I hope!

If you've got a stables nearby see if they clear their fields of horse-droppings... if they do find oout if you can get them. Field muck from some place that doesn't spray will be fine, but will be a bit weedy in terms of it carries weeds.... it's a better fertiliser (though posibly not such a good soil improver....) I get mine like that and they're only  too happy to watch me tow it away.... I leave them compost bgs adn they fill them while walking the fields....Got nearly three tons in dumpybags at the plot ATM waiting to go on (and I'll double that at least for next year).... another bonus of that is the mushrooms.... there's only really one thing you could mistake for a horse mushroom that's actually poinsonous adn there's an easy distinguishing test...
Hope I find some more on Saturday/Sunday....

chrisc

Allotment-junkie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2010, 07:29:19 »
Regarding the STRAW I am sorry to say that basically it is not very safe as most farmers are using the Aminopyralid herbicide on their Corn and Wheat Fields.. so even if you acquire muck etc from a local stable that does not use it on their grazing areas it can be brought in from the straw / Hay used for bedding and feeding in the stables (that is what has happened to a lot on our site as the local guy unknowingly has been supplying infected manure for the past 10 months or so as his horses are stabled and do not have vast grazing areas worth the cost of the herbicide if indeed he was able to get some ).but to get away from the problem I suggest a Rotation period like stick it in with your brassicas each year as long as you follow with Onions then Tatties then Beans you will be Safe and plenty of rotavating between crops as this breaks it down.. at the moment in my opinion this is the only way to deal with it

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2010, 23:13:06 »
THey're not supposed to spray corn or wheat fields, Hay that's been treated and the manure from animals that eat such hay isn't supposed to leave the farm of origin.... Of course that's if you believe farmers won't use the best broadleaf weedkiller known on just about every blade of grass and grass-family crop they've got.....

chrisc

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal