Author Topic: Water Lily, can I chop up the root ?  (Read 3038 times)

ellie2cats

• Quarter Acre
Water Lily, can I chop up the root ?
« on: September 19, 2010, 00:34:44 »
I have a very large root on a water lily. Can I chop it into pieces? It seems to have grown out of its pot and just floats,  Not a pretty sight !!
Any suggestions please.
Ellie

elhuerto

• Acre
Re: Water Lily, can I chop up the root ?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 11:11:07 »
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

ellie2cats

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 23:22:47 »
Thanks for the link Elhuerto, I was amazed it came from New Zealand, however a water lily seems to be the same the world over so I shall follow the suggestions and see what happens.
Thanks
Ellie

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 20:39:06 »
I have a lily in a small water garden and it seems to be doing well.

In the long term I hope to dig a BIG water garden and link it to the koi pond with bullrushes etc in the hopes of making the water quality even better, complicated subject in depth but want to try it all the same.

Will have about 2 double handfulls f food going in each day most of the year so hope the plants do their job!

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 15:58:37 »
I pulled one out of a very overgrown & waterless pond last autumn, chopped it up & replanted a small piece for my pond which has thrived this summer with many flowers on it.
The rest I offered on "Freecycle" & within hours had people biting my hand off for bits, all of which have also thrived.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 22:15:47 »
nice one, I have a customer that has a pond smothered in giant iris and bullrush and glad to get rid of tem! Dig as many as you want she says!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal