Author Topic: Bean cross-pollination  (Read 1007 times)

small

• Hectare
Bean cross-pollination
« on: September 04, 2010, 21:21:17 »
I grew Blue Lake beans from the dig-in freebies, very pleased with them so saved some seed - but they are much bigger than the original seed, have they crossed with the nearby runners? And will my runners have been crossed too? I just never thought......

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
Re: Bean cross-pollination
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 21:34:44 »
I've noticed that our saved seed is bigger than seed from a packet. There's no benefit for seed companies in giving us big seeds - costs them in fertilizer and time, I suppose, for no gain for them

They won't have crossed with your runners, but your runners may have crossed with other runners. I save runner bean seed, even though they cross so easily. I buy a new packet after a few years and start again

small

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 21:55:04 »
Thanks, Bugloss, that's a relief.  I am in an isolated garden not an allotment, so my runners have kept the same for over twenty years........I did like those Blue Lakes, though, thanks to whoever on this site pointed me to the dig-in stuff!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 22:04:54 »
I have got the occassional rogue in French beans but in general they come up true, so would expect your blue lake to be ok.   

There is a type of runner which has been crossed with a French Bean (moonlight) but I do not think it was easy to achieve. 

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 22:27:27 »
I might grow Moonlight next year. Though I wonder if the poor crop of runners this year for me hasn't anything to do with pollination, but just because runner beans haven't liked this year's weather.

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 23:01:39 »
They will shrink a bit whilst they finish drying out as well, so will get smaller [even though you might not notice it happening]...

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 23:23:01 »
Scarlet Emperors always do me proud and did my grandpa too, sowing saved seed since 2005  ;)

Ninny

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 00:06:19 »
Yep, basically Broad and Runners cross breed French don't...  :-X

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal