Author Topic: Vanishing of the Bees film  (Read 1308 times)

SueK

• Half Acre
  • Pudsey, West Yorkshire
Vanishing of the Bees film
« on: September 04, 2010, 07:44:26 »
Hi all,
Not sure where to put this, but not keeping bees myself.... you get the picture!

We came back from the Greenbelt festival this week having seen a showing of the film Vanishing of the Bees, which was about colony collapse disorder (CCD) in honeybees mainly in the US but also included some info about western Europe.
Like everyone, I had heard about this, but found the film really shocking, not just in how the bees have died off but how mankind is almost certainly responsible because of how agriculture has changed over the last century and it would be fair to say that one or two fingers were pointed by the end, especially in relation to pesticides. 

A speaker after the film - apparently a "bee activist" in the UK - went as far as accusing the GM seed companies of seeking to benefit from the potential loss of bee-pollinated crops by concentrating their research on crops such as wheat and sweetcorn, which are wind-pollinated, but not being conversant in that area I wouldn't like to say.

On the other hand, seeing this film was a bit of a turning point for me.  Having just a veg patch of sorts in the garden, we (sort of) garden organically and were, I thought, fairly conversant with all the arguments for it, but this makes me want to go that bit further, short of keeping a few bees myself!  But very few things have made me want to pull up all the grass before!   :)

Has anybody else seen this film or been spurred into action?

Best regards,
Sue

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Vanishing of the Bees film
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 18:34:08 »
I haven't seen it, but I've heard a lot about CCD. It's not unique, and since it's a US problem, I suspect it's got something to do with their industrial scale beekeeping. We've got plenty of problems over here, but no proven CCD.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: Vanishing of the Bees film
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 22:21:28 »
I've seen the film on the Net. It doesn't paint a picture I recognise in the UK, but it does help raise awareness of Bee and  Bee Health, and the link in declining pollinating insect numbers and the increase in Agri-Tech companies using more powerful chemicals in agriculture, and the encouragement of gardeners to follow down the 'spray it all' method of growing food for their families!
You couldn't make it up!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal