Author Topic: Be careful out there  (Read 1627 times)

:(

• Acre
Be careful out there
« on: September 03, 2010, 09:00:39 »

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: Be careful out there
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 09:08:40 »
wow, I didn't know that! A good excuse to start wearing latex gloves while planting I guess. I always garden in bare hands, except for really heavy or thorny work, but I know it's a bad idea. I frequently get slashed and pricked and scraped by all sorts of things. Reminds me - must get tetanus booster next year...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 09:30:29 »
thanks, weequeenie, never thought of that  :)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 12:29:30 »
Just listened to an item about this on the radio, think its bagged up, bought compost which has the risk, not our own home made variety.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 13:57:36 »
Just listened to an item about this on the radio, think its bagged up, bought compost which has the risk, not our own home made variety.

Still good advice to be careful working with left over food and rotten vegetation etc. You would not go ferking about in your dustbin without gloves would you.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 15:08:52 »
I cut myself recently handling recylced compost and realised I needed to be more careful.  Had a tetanus jab and found it was the first for more than 25 years.

Had not even thought about legionaires disease.  There is apparently also a risk from windscreen wash as well seems taxi drivers are prone to it.  Persume we also ought to be more careful of butts full of water.

Pomona

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 16:59:53 »
It's a risk to drivers who don't use enough windscreen wash additive- apparently the windscreen wash solution kills off the bugs.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal