Author Topic: Elderflower berries  (Read 2656 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Elderflower berries
« on: September 02, 2010, 08:18:32 »
The flowers were plentyful earlier on the year..and now the berries are starting to ripen up...but..
I've never really made afford to use the berries much..
What are you lot doing with yours.. ???...I could pick them by bucket fulls..but plan is to leave some for wildbirds too..
Some ideas..pretty please... ;D

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
Re: Elderflower berries
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 08:42:40 »
you could make jelly with them, but you will need to to add lemon juice because they are low in pectin, but they make lovely jelly.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 08:50:51 »
The lovely James Wong? Grow Your Own Drugs, made something with them. I'll consult his book later. I think it's an immune stimulant similar to sambucol.

luckycharlie

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 08:53:33 »

Hi Grannyjanny

Have just PM you

X Chas

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 09:04:20 »
Code: [Select]
The lovely James Wong...have you got 'soft spot' for chaps who's name start with J?...you mentioned in other post about Jimmy, now James..and OH?... ;D ;D
Has anybody tried making juice with elderberries..I've got steam juicer..left in long forgotten corner in kitchen.. ::)...and It haven't seen any action for couple of years.
I wonder what taste would be like...is it pleasant enough on it's own..or should it be mixed with something else..?

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 09:48:24 »
You could suck it & see ;).

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 09:51:20 »
Chas I've replied. Found the numbers for you as I'd saved a copy so 2 new messages for you.

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 17:28:18 »
 Love, love, love elderberry jelly, also elderflowers with strawberry or gooseberry. but elderberries yum,, our are finished again for this year , but I put them through the steam juicer and we made 10 and a bit pound of the most gorgeous jelly,, far far better than blackcurrant and very very good for you, every one I know would have another jar of the jelly from us......
 we don't leave any for the birds, they get enough before we pick, they also have all the mulberries, plus well over $400, worth of seed ever year.....
  qahtan

« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 17:33:16 by qahtan »

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 17:39:40 »
Code: [Select]
The lovely James Wong...have you got 'soft spot' for chaps who's name start with J?...you mentioned in other post about Jimmy, now James..and OH?... ;D ;D
Has anybody tried making juice with elderberries..I've got steam juicer..left in long forgotten corner in kitchen.. ::)...and It haven't seen any action for couple of years.
I wonder what taste would be like...is it pleasant enough on it's own..or should it be mixed with something else..?
Your mouth would pucker up! to my taste it needs sugar.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal