Author Topic: Luna Planting  (Read 1895 times)

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Luna Planting
« on: August 28, 2003, 18:08:46 »
Gardening by the Moon, no please dont think the hot weather has sent me round the bend. But on our lottie the water is pumped up from the farmers spring/bore hole. The men who do it are not topping up the tanks on a regular basic.
So I thought I would look into the Moon as it is ment to indicate the leavel of water in the land. So far I have found that  full moon to new moon the level of water in the land is at its highest and as the Moon moves the level goes down.
Found an American site which does cauldeners but no UK site have any of the gardeners here used this methord.
The idea is you water your plants when planting and let nature and the moon do the rest. Teresa
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

OP

• Not So New ...
Re: Luna Planting
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2003, 11:42:32 »
Well, as a geologist, I would say there will be some correlation, but the only thing that will effect the water level is the tide effect.  Tides are caused by gravitational attraction of water towards the moon, meaning as the Earth rotates there is a bulge of water always pointing twards the moon.  There's also a smaller bulge on the other side of the planet as that water is less attracted to the moon.  So, for each 24 hour period, there's approximately 2 tides (slightly less as the moon is at the same time slowly orbiting Earth).  There is also a small effect caused by the sun, which operates in exactly the same way but ona  smaller scale. I see no reason why groundwater shouldn't be effected the same way as oceanic water, so your best bet is to look at local high tide times (if you're anywhere near the coast.  If not try and find a tide time for something on the same longitude).  The actual phases of the moon may show a slight variation, as at New moon and Full moon the moon tide will be closest to the solar tide, so there should be an additive effect.  Again, local tide tables should help.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: Luna Planting
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2003, 13:50:38 »
Hi Op,
So the tides from say spring when we plant most things ie seeds could be higher?  through to summer, autum and winter?
Think the idea is you plant when water is high in the ground full to new moon and as the moon moves the roots should go deeper in to the ground looking for moisture, Stronger roots and plants.
When you water the ground it brings the roots to the top looking for water so you have to keep watering.
Thanks for the reply no I dont live near the coast Northants bit inland.  Teresa

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal