Author Topic: fake goods  (Read 1714 times)

zigzig

• Acre
fake goods
« on: August 31, 2010, 17:04:12 »
On a few markets/car boots I go to there are dealers who are selling fake goods. Not just DVDs and CDs, things like clothes and accessories.

I would never pay the price of 'the real thing'. The question about being able to afford it would not arise, even if I was a multi trillionaire I would never pay a thousand pounds for a plastic handbag or even £50 for a baseball cap. The big designers would never make a profit from me.

However, Christmas is not too far away and there are a few people I give a token gift to. (with kids it is money with the rest of the family, it is their favourite booze. I am very boring that way)

Now would I be doing something very terrible to give a Jasper Conrad (for example, only because one dealer offered me one today for £4) Handbag to some one,  being fully aware it was a total fake or should I be safe and boring and get a soap set from Boots for £4.99?

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: fake goods
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 17:38:42 »
Not being a label person myself I would have thought it better to go for the boots rather than the fake.  Fakes are pretty obvious!
If I give a token gift then I usually make it - rhubarb vodka or soap - cheap as chips but put it in a nice box and it goes down well..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 17:40:28 »
Jasper Conran is aiming a bit high. They'd spot it straight away. Couldn't you buy some fake Boots soap for 50p and try passing that off instead? Much more difficult to tell you're being a cheap-skate.  :D

(only joking)

Have to be careful though. Like when Adrian Mole bought a solid gold bracelet for Pandora for £1.99 or whatever and she came out in a rash ("I am allergic to base metal")

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 17:45:42 »
Child labour is what you should be considering....how else would they be able to sell this stuff so cheaply......not good  :(

Stick to being boring!
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 17:46:23 »
Now come on.

£5 is my budget for the token gifts. Tight as a ducks bottie I might be but 50p for a fake Boots gift set is taking things too far.

Where do you get them for 50p by the way?

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 17:52:33 »
I can make you soem fake Boots gift vouchers if you want  ;D

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 17:55:56 »
I think its OK if its an obvious fake that you couldnt afford, eg a Rolex watch, that you think the owner would appreciate for its irony and happily wear to show off their bling. Wouldnt try to pass anything off as genuine as these are easily spotted as fake by their shoddy quality and you'll just look like a cheapskate!

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 18:02:41 »
Child labour always comes up as the argument and rightly all of us are against children being used and abused.

Sadly, in the real third world. Children, as they once were in the UK, are needed in some places to help eek out the income to literally feed the whole family. Indeed in some places kids don't have an adult to look after them at all.

No, the cry comes from those trying to protect their profits far more than it comes from the reality of  life.

Any one who believes otherwise has never seen that sort of poverty. It exists. Please do not quote from those who want to make cheap goods in the Phillipines and sell them at huge profits then criticise counterfitter is parts of Asia and Africa who employ the needy from there.

Often by NOT buying these underpriced goods, you could be stopping a child from earning something to help feed it's younger siblings.

Poverty and criminal activity has always been hand in fist. Which is why we first have to stop the poverty first. NOT the other way round.

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 18:11:09 »
As tempting as they are to buy, I would avoid like the plague.

Usually not very well made to start with :) 

Still laughing at the idea of Fake boots vouchers...............djbrenton, want to borrow my wax crayons :D :D xx

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 23:18:21 »
Fakes often finance serious crime like drugs and people trafficing so you could be helping someone get out of a third world sweat shop and into the forced sex trade but at least they get good wages to feed their kids back home.....oh yes it doesn't really work that way does it.

Djbrenton, could you do hobbycraft vouchers as well?
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal