Author Topic: Runner bean disease?  (Read 7707 times)

Uffer

Runner bean disease?
« on: August 30, 2010, 13:49:33 »
I have for the last couple of seasons had a problem with a rust coloured disease affecting initially the leaves and then the beans themselves.  This season I have had a really good crop up until this 'rust' started appearing about 2 weeks ago.
There is still lots of flower on the plants and new beans coming.
I have looked on the internet and it sounds like Halo Blight, but they say that that is caused by poor quality seed.  As I buy in seed each year and have used different varieties each season I don't think this is the problem.
The plants are grown in a raised bed and every witer I dig in the well rotted compost from the bin {this is at least a year old}.  Runners are the only thing I grow and because of limited space, 8ft x 8ft, they go in the same ground each year. Anybody got any ideas please

Any suggestions as to what

Kepouros

• Hectare
Re: Runner bean disease?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 15:11:50 »
Your statement that it is a `rust coloured disease`, rather argues against halo blight and more in favour of runner bean rust (Uromyces appendiculatus).  Halo blight is a bacterial disease, while rust is fungal.  If you can possibly put a few photos on this board it would help identify - which otherwise would be extremely difficult with any precision.

Rust is very prevalent this year with the lengthy wet spell.

However, whichever disease it is, growing the beans on the same site for two years or more in succession will compound the severity considerably.  A 3 year gap is normally recommended for halo blight, while considerably longer is advised for rust.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 21:33:13 »
I have had a problem with rust for many years.  It seems to follow the beans round the garden.  I have found the only solution is to sow a succession of beans and as soon as one set of plants get it you move onto the next.

Some varieties are more resistant.   Celebration is stated to be resistant.  Aintree did well for me last year and started cropping again.

This is the first year for ages I have not had a problem it has been very dry here.  I had hoped it would not be on the allotment but it arrived there PDQ.

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 00:04:26 »
Digeroo,  I don`t think that rust is following your beans, I suspect that you`re taking it with them.  Rust is highly infectious, very easily spread, and it hangs around for several years.  If you are using the same bean poles from year to year (unless very carefully disinfected), or even failing to disinfect your tools, you are simply planting the rust with the beans.

fi

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 08:31:57 »
Sounds like my runner beans also have rust (first time) would it be advisable to burn poles and plants? i always plant too close and this must have made the plants weaker. last year runner beans at home had halo blight and this was from their leaves being sprayed with water on sunny days (kids playing in garden!)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal