Author Topic: Pears......  (Read 1235 times)

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
Pears......
« on: August 29, 2010, 18:45:28 »

Picked 2 bushels pears yesterday one of regular Barlett and one of red
Bartlett, now is the lovely jub af preparing them for the freezer....
 not my favourite job... qahtan

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: Pears......
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 18:50:04 »
Ever made perry?  It's become rather fashionable recently.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 19:53:49 »
 No I have never made it, but I do like it, it was popular back many moons ago, as was Babycham.. qahtan

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 20:24:18 »
You can only make pear cider from pears, you need perry pears to make perry.

'Only'seems the wrong word to use as pear cider is very nice, better than perry it'self I think.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 18:34:33 »
You can only make pear cider from pears, you need perry pears to make perry.

'Only'seems the wrong word to use as pear cider is very nice, better than perry it'self I think.
That's interesting.  I've come across pear cider and I just assumed it was called that because not many people would know what perry is.  What makes a perry pear - is it sharp like a crab apple?
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 18:42:00 »
I actually prefer pear to apple when it comes to perry or pear cider as some choose to call it. Factually, Actually or in reality.

Years ago I made pear wine and it secondary fermented, naturally. WOW.

We discovered it when we heard the first cork go bang. After that it was a nightly ritual to consume each bottle as it shed it's cork. Nearing the stage of actually becoming total alcoholics we shared our brew with friends who began asking for the recipe.!!! It just happened for godsake!

My conference tree has tons of fruit on it this year again but most will be given away.

It is a funny thing with pears. Some people love them hard and crisp and yet others prefer them soft and juicy. I used to take them with me to work (when I had to work for a living) and it surprised me how many people wanted them freshly picked and rock hard.

The pears are about the last thing to get harvested and by then I am fed up picking and making stuff up into something to keep.

Shame really because there are some great pear recipes. I think I still have some of last years hiding somewhere in one of the freezers.

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 19:03:11 »
I did belgian bottled pears last year which have turned out beautifully. Pretty easy to do as well.

Strangely I don't like pears fresh, certainly not conference. Give 'em me in any other form, including pear cider, and I'm more than happy. Not sure I'm going to get my usual supply this year and I'm already getting withdrawal symptoms.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal