Author Topic: Manure  (Read 979 times)

admjh1

• Half Acre
Manure
« on: August 28, 2010, 07:06:50 »
I am collecting some horse manure next week but not sure how to store or use this autumn? My plot hadn't been worked for 10 years 18 months ago it had been used got chickens . This year I used chicken pellets as fertilizer and last two growing seasons has brill veg but realize it's time to give back. But a bit scared of manure. Shall I just put onto top of beds and cover/or leave uncovered and let the worms do their work. Or shall I leave in a pile in corner of plot? Thanks

Allotment-junkie

• Quarter Acre
Re: Manure
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 07:58:34 »
if you are worried about the Herbicide then I suggest you Make a Pile and Use it for your Brassica area for the next couple of years as you rotate as they will not be affected. and continue with the chicken pellets on the other areas.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 08:53:04 »
Just make a few pots with 30%manure and 70% soil with some fast growing peas or bean seeds. If the second and third set of leaves look normal then your manure should be fine. Crops that arent as affected are sweetcorn and some brassicas.

If its just the freshness of it that you are concerned about its fine for all of those areas that have nothing growing, but make a pile to let it mature a bit (say 3 months) before you put in over things that are alive such as fruit trees and roses etc. dont ut it anywhere you want to grow carrots or parsnips.

good luck it works such wonders on the soil and your plants will love it.
but do a bean test first.
x sunloving

admjh1

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 13:32:23 »
Thanks sunliving

it's coming next weekend so I deft will do the bean test wasn't aware  of there being issues with horse manure so thanks adain for the tip  >:(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal