Author Topic: Peppers for courses - a bit of crossover with recipes  (Read 2929 times)

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
Peppers for courses - a bit of crossover with recipes
« on: August 26, 2010, 20:07:38 »
I've just been bowled over by how much green Bulgarian Teardrops improve bean and/or courgette stews on a tomato/onion/garlic base.

I don't know yet whether there is an affinity for the veg or the base or only the combination...

I'm sure others have noticed this??

I think it's the catty citrusy taste that all the C.baccatums have - it's much more subtle (and far superior) to putting lime leaves or lemon grass in - though to get enough of it without blowing your head off you need the medium ones like BulgT or Bishops Cap.

I'm aware of Jalapenos' affinity for melted cheese and pickles (and presumably other savouries).

Are there any others as clear-cut as these ones?

I've tried to grow 'Fish' but the plants have always been really weak ('cos of variegation I suppose) so I haven't had an opportunity to try them in an actual fish dinner they are supposed to go with... can anyone give a first-hand opinion?

Cheers.

PS. Basically I'm shaking-down my chilli seed collection so can grow more of the really useful ones and dump the ones that are just heat without flavour - I have less use for those but more critically:- they are the same as what's in the shops so why bother?
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: Peppers for courses - a bit of crossover with recipes
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 13:15:57 »
Interesting post Vinlander. I know what you mean about the "Jalapenos' affinity for melted cheese and pickles ". So a chilli variety where you don't need to add lime leaves and lemon grass is even more interesting, as those 2 things are always in my freezer for those must have Thai flavours.

I've been impressed with cayene peppers, and trying different things with those - but like a numpty forgot to grow some this year  ::)

1066  :)

Vinlander

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 00:19:29 »
Been AFK for a while so I forgot to update the Bulgarian Teardrop thing...

I've found that it doesn't work anything like as well if you cook the chillis into the stew, and even adding a raw puree at table isn't much good either. Not much of the flavour survives prolonged heat or contact with oxygen.

I doubt that drying or pickling would work either.

The only thing that works really well is how I did it the first time (pure luck).

Take well-developed (heavier, thick walled) BTs while they are still green, remove the seeds and pith, chop into 2-3mm squares and mix into the dish at the last minute.

It's the fresh zesty flavour released as you chew them that really does the business.

BTs aren't that hot so start with about a level teaspoon of chopped chilli mixed into a portion to give the big 'lift' to the flavour without scaring anyone except the seriously wimpy who think a drop of tabasco sauce in a gallon of stew is unbearable.

I've also found my Bishop's Caps don't work either though this strain is notoriously variable (aka. Balloon etc.) so some others might work.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

tai haku

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 18:18:22 »

I've tried to grow 'Fish' but the plants have always been really weak ('cos of variegation I suppose) so I haven't had an opportunity to try them in an actual fish dinner they are supposed to go with... can anyone give a first-hand opinion?

bit late to this but yes I can.

Fish grew well for me and produced loads of fruit. They are pretty much identical to a thick cayenne. A bit of heat but nothing crazy. I think the link with seafood really comes from the fact that you can pick the variegated pods and use them to make a lighter coloured paprika for spicing up white sauces without sending them offwhite rather than a flavour issue. For me lemon drop/aji limo/hot lemon (whatever you choose to call it) is the best variety for use with fish.

Vinlander

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 15:23:08 »
Sounds like aji limo has a citrus zest too - does the zest survive cooking?

Does it also have that catty/unripe guava smell?

Cheers.

mike77

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 22:40:22 »
Fatalii also works nicely with fish and really well with pork.... It has a lovely citrus undertone and packs quite a kick although I do find it the heat gets lost when cooked?
On my grow list every season without fail
Mike

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal