Author Topic: New Potatoes  (Read 712 times)

queenbee

• Acre
New Potatoes
« on: August 23, 2010, 23:14:43 »
I still have 'new potatoes' in the ground, they are getting quite big and the haulm has died down. It is because I have planted too many for our needs and next year will adjust the quantity, despite giving my friends and neighbours plenty still have a glut. Still got the some second earlies, will leave the main crop for a few more weeks and then store. Any suggestions regarding the earlies as it seem such a waste to put on compost.
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

Kepouros

• Hectare
Re: New Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 23:34:02 »
Make sure that they have a fortnight in the ground to let the skins set then dig them, up.

You don`t say precisely what varieties of earlies (which I presume you mean by `new potatoes`) they are, but they should certainly keep for a couple of months or more.  But, of course, they will not be `new potatoes` any more, but plain ordinary potatoes, because `new potatoes` are nothing more or less than potatoes newly dug out of the ground.

The second earlies will store perfectly well for months, so quite simply you store the second earlies and the maincrop while you eat the earlies, and you won`t waste anything

queenbee

• Acre
Re: New Potatoes
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 23:45:39 »

Thanks Kepouros, I will do as you suggest.
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal