Author Topic: Sloes?  (Read 1339 times)

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Sloes?
« on: August 18, 2010, 18:53:25 »
Just got back from walking the dogs and spotted a huge bush full of sloes, in the hedgerow near where I parked the car.  How do I know when they are ready to pick.  I fancy making some sloe gin this year  :).
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
Re: Sloes?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 19:00:19 »
Usually, not until the first frosts when most of their leaves have fallen.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

kypfer

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 23:38:31 »
The "first frost" parameter is probably more relevant further north than down south ... I look for a nice healthy-looking whiteish-powdery "bloom" on obviously dark "ripe-looking" fruit. Over-ripe fruit starts to wrinkle and dry out. This early in the season I'd expect to still see at least some fruit with an obvious tinge of green ... these are not ripe and will apparently adversely affect the flavour of any subsequent beverage. Last year some blackthorn had nicely ripe fruit down here at this time of year, other bushes were still obviously green. Ripe fruit may not be sweet but is certainly very "fruity" to the taste, if somewhat "tart", just try a drop or two of juice, not the whole fruit, whereas unripe fruit is distinctly "harsh" and less juicy.

A variation I tried last year, with great success, was to add the sugar to the liquor after the fruit has been strained, ie. at the end of the three-month "pickling" period. This has two advantages :
Firstly the liquor isn't "syrupy" so it virtually all drains off the fruit with little or no loss, secondly one can then add sugar to taste. I used 1 oz. of granulated sugar per 100cc of liquid. The result needed to sit for 24 hours to finally dissolve all the sugar, (caster sugar may dissolve quicker). I believe this is how they do it in Denmark ... I used vodka but I'm sure that's not an issue ... my neighbour did it with blackberries (and somewhat less sugar) ... that was a success as well  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 07:49:22 »
Has anyone tried with Mulberries? We have a tree and are considering it...  :)

ARV

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 17:49:13 »
I've just started a litre or so of Mulberry gin (emptying the freezer to make space for this years produce).
I'm away working at the moment, but will let you know how it is getting on when i get home.

peejay

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 17:22:19 »
Certainly looks like being a good year for sloes here in Rutland, hedgerows are full of them!  Kypfer gives sound advice, waiting for the first frost was probably ok before climate change and weird weather.  There should be a" bloom" on the fruit (ie not shiny) and if you don't fancy having to prick all those berries, put them in the freezer which has the dual advantage of acting as a frost, and splitting the case.  Kyper, may try your idea of adding sugar later, though I thought that was all part of the fermenting process.  I still have some sloe gin (my first lot) must be about 4-5 years old now but although followed a recipe must have had too much sugar as it was very "almondy" almost like a cough syrup.   A required taste though goes great with sparkly wine.  Definitely  like the sound of blackberry vodka!  May have to try that one.  Blackberries looking good too.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 18:41:18 »
Like peejay says, the freezer thing works for us too.  By the time the first frosts ar ehere the pheasants (or maybe that's peasants?) have eaten them all.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 19:41:55 »
Never thought of adding it to "fizz" - must try it as I also have some over sweet damson vodka/gin from a few years ago

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 05:39:33 »
Oh someone lives I Rutland.. I lived there for a few years, little village called Edith Weston.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal