Author Topic: lost feathers  (Read 2162 times)

paulinemargaret

• Not So New ...
lost feathers
« on: August 15, 2010, 09:17:53 »
My daughters chicken is with mine she has lost most of feathers hardly any wings left,could it be mites what do i do should i seperate her ,i had some purple stuff to spray on her cause i thought it was her cockrals but she gets it off
only my cockral there now cause mr fox got hers she had 2 but she is worse then ever now
Pauline

rog_pete

• Quarter Acre
  • the photo from 10 Dec when took over the plot
Re: lost feathers
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 19:12:48 »
is it not just time for her moult?
is she off lay, if so I would suggest its the moult
Rog n Pete

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 19:32:37 »
Yes..most likely molt ;) Now is the time that she will need some extra vitamins/supplements as growing new feathers is a bit task for her..sooner the new  feathers are grown sooner she start laying again..
If the molt keeps going on for long time her general condition will weaken too.

paulinemargaret

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 21:44:46 »
thanks for suggestions think you are right and she is moulting,just that she seemed worse than my other girls,what do u surgest i get for her and the others
Pauline

rog_pete

• Quarter Acre
  • the photo from 10 Dec when took over the plot
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 10:56:01 »
I would suggest increasing the protein in their diet, they need more protein to make the new feathers, you will notice they will be off lay whilst in moult.  This can last from anything from 3 to 8 weeks

Increased protein diet with more seed and even meat, personally i would not give them meat but they will eat it, I let them find their own frogs and mice!  I have head that toast with marmite is a good source

Rog n Pete

Anisemary

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 00:17:53 »
If you feed corn, add cod liver oil until it glistens and feed it to them late afternoon a couple of times a week during the moult, it helps with the re-feathering.

sara g

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 11:27:34 »
Mine are going through the moult, I give them apple cider vinegar in their water, cod liver oil and garlic powder on there food and plenty of corn and other treats.  ;)
Always works for me. x

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal