Author Topic: A perching question.  (Read 1607 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
A perching question.
« on: August 16, 2010, 12:49:51 »
How important is it for chickens to perch at night? We put large plant pots in the nest boxes to stop them from going in there but as there is poo in there I think they must be squatting between them. We were told they must perch as it's bad for their legs & chest not to. It's impossible to get hold of them & physically put them on the perches because of the design of the coop.  
OH thinks they should be allowed their comfort ::) but should they?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 13:01:48 by grannyjanny »

rog_pete

• Quarter Acre
  • the photo from 10 Dec when took over the plot
Re: A perching question.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 14:29:35 »
we have one girl who sleeps in the nest box, she is quite happy there but we do put her on the perch whe we can do, now she generally does perch but not always.  If they are proper resting in the nest box should be no problem as they are not putting all weight on their legs, so they should be getting their rest

another girl just stood on the floor, ths was a problem for the reasons you mentioned, therefore we always put her on the perch, or make her get on it, after a few weeks she now knows to perch
Rog n Pete

chicken girl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 22:05:13 »
My 3 girls never perch 2 sleep intogether and one in the other nest box , they all seem happy healthy girls so dont worry if they dont perch . I do have a few logs around their run and often see them perching on them   :D

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 08:34:04 »
Is it a question of what is best for the chicken or is it a hygiene question regarding the eggs?
Our breeder said they must perch.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal